Friday 25 February 2022

A Change of Tack & False Economy

 Yesterday, I thought I was done with shopping for this month yet this morning saw me in Sainsburys buying chocolate for G to take to work tomorrow in his lunchbox.  I couldn't really refuse to go as he was busy laying one more patio slab 😄  So there I was browsing and checking the Smartshop App for bargains.  Shopping so far has cost £178.04 instead of the usual £220.00 and I intended sweeping the excess into savings.  However..... during a restless night when I just couldn't drop off to sleep for thinking about energy prices, fuel and the poor people in Ukraine,  I wondered at the common sense of saving a few extra quid in the account when I could be (should be?) stocking up on food, so I decided to sacrifice up to £21.96 on buying the bargains and just sweep £20 into the account.

I saved a fair bit of money on things we buy any way:

Milk 95p  63p x 2

Tinned pears £1.10  77p x 2

Cotton pads £1.85  £1.30 x 2

Teabags £1.10    77p x 2

In addition, There were 2 half price quiches (for the freezer), some fish fingers on offer and a couple of rice pouches (just enough for 2 portions in each)

I realised that I had a £3 off voucher plus 5 x Nectar points voucher too 👍



It came to £20.23 and G paid me for the chocolate therefore the total is £17.98  I've added it to the total for the month below and am sweeping £20 into savings.

The false economy mentioned is in relation to dishwasher tablets. I bought this pack of 60 tablets costing £5. Unfortunately, they do not perform well at all.  Even at a 65 degree wash they leave streaks on everything especially cutlery so that I end up rinsing and polishing them by hand.  Not the best use of my time.  I was determined to use them up but was relieved to use the last one on Wednesday.


These also cost £5 but there are only 29 tabs in the pack so double the cost.  However, last night's load not only smelled clean and fresh but were sparkling clean.  Well worth the cost, I think....


Anyway, thanks so much for popping in.  Sending (((hugs))) to anyone who needs one.

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x 

Sell & Save:

£215.31

February Shopping Challenge:

£196.02/ £220

6 comments:

  1. We prefer Fairy dishwasher tablets and got a great price at Asda, we have again stocked up, but that was to use our discount card, 10% is a great discount, shame it finishes end of this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of some good comforting cheap recipes for the days and weeks ahead. Hope our garden produces well this year. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking of adding extra to the garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking like prices are going up everywhere. Our food, in New Zealand has too. Due, of course, to covid. I spent the morning making a basic (very basic!!!) menu plan for myself to keep costs down. I live alone so it's easier to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A bit of restocking sounds like a very good plan and could be something you do at the end of each month.

    Sometimes a cheaper version of something is a false economy (as you found out), but to find this out we do have to try them so nothing lost in the long run ... you now know what not to buy in the future :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you did the right thing, stocking up as you did! Things will be going up in the future, so, stocking up now seems like the sensible thing to do. I did my final grocery shopping for the month, today. I came under budget and I am happy with that. I just carry any leftover funds to the next month.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx