Monday 14 August 2023

Changing Focus & a Big Thank You

First of all, I want to say an enormous "THANK YOU" to everyone who left kind and concerned comments on my last post and to Stephenie, Sue in Suffolk, and Sue Hall who left additional comments over the last week asking if I am ok.  The short answer is yes, I'm feeling better, thank you.

I don't know what happened but I began waking after a restless, sometimes, almost sleepless night, with a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. I felt in a constant state of anxiety which affected my whole being.  I worried about G's health, my own health, my Grandchildren leaving school last term, the state of the economy, the plight of the world, and a myriad other things which left me feeling down and quite unwell. So....I cut myself from the news and social media to a great extent and concentrated on eating better and just reading gentle blogs.  I now feel a bit better and more in control of everything.

The thing that helped me to de-stress the most has been the allotment.  I've visited alone in gentle rain, torrential downpours and gentle sunshine. For the first time we have tried to grow Butternut squash and I found this last week. I just need to work out the optimum time to harvest it......



And there are more babies....


The sweetcorn is doing particularly well despite the lack of heat this year.....



We have onions......



We have a bloomin' local badger who digs his way in and forces his way into the centre of our raspberry canes 😡  despite of all our efforts to stop him.....



We've cut several heads of Brocolli , all a good weight and absolutely melt in the mouth tender.....



And more runner beans that we can possibly eat.  I've been busy freezing them and giving away loads of them to family and neighbours too......




We've harvested:

Runner beans
French climbing beans
Brocolli
Carrots,
Baby parsnips
Sweetcorn  (gradually ripening now)
Cherry tomatoes,
Beetroot
Windfall Bramley apples

Thanks so much for popping in my friends, and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

18 comments:

  1. Good to see you back, and what a productive allotment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good to see a post from you and hear how you are. Wow - you've got a lovely lot of veg and those calabrese heads are amazing.
    When to harvest the butternuts depend on if you want to use straight away or store - mine are a fail - my fault as I really haven't got room for them in my veg beds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. Re the butternuts: as we only have one decent one and 2 babies we won't be trying to store any so do we just cut it off when it's the right colour ie beige? Your advice would be much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you back and glad you are feeling better. Your allotment looks great and what a good harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to read your post, I hope this good feeling last and you can enjoy your harvest from the allotment. It's always a quick drop and a long haul back to wellbeing and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back. Good to read you are feeling better. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful to see a post from you. Gardens are good for the soul.

    I harvested my Butternut Squash when they turned a golden colour.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie, I'll keep a careful eye on the squash. The big one is starting to change colour now.

      Delete
  7. Your broccoli has done so much better than ours which went straight to seed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that one of our brocolli plants in a different bed did just that too. It's been a difficult year fir growing hasn't it.

      Delete
  8. What a fantastic harvest. I completely understand; the world situation can be overwhelming. Like you, I am spending much more time out in nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh air and nature helps a lot doesn't it Stephenie. It helps me to clear negative thoughts. Thank you for your support during my absence x

      Delete
  9. I wonder where my comment on this post went ... I definintely left one. The mysteries of Blogger strike again. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How weird, I can't find it in spam....thanks anyway :) Blogger can be a nightmare!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx