Monday 3 January 2022

First Spend of the Year

Thank you all for your encouragement and comments on my last post. It seems that many of us want to accumulate a bit of a safety net for the future. 2021 taught us all to expect the unexpected, I think. 

Yesterday, I fancied poached egg on toast but, of course, eggs were the one thing I had forgotten to put on the delivery list last Wednesday 😏  I wanted to pop to the allotment for more sprouts so dropped in to the only Tesco Express nearby and used my tatty voucher to buy eggs and a pint of milk for £1.65, therefore just 15p cash was spent. 



Over the last few months I have accumulated a fair amount of Nectar points.... 


They can only be spent in multiples of £2.50 so £32.50 is the amount I can use right now. Sue, from A Smaller and Simpler Life, has jogged my memory that I will still accrue points when I shop at Sainsburys so I might manage to get an extra £2.50 to spend later on with any luck 🤞

I'll start my meal planning from Monday to Sunday as it's easier for us......


I already have the makings of the meals apart from Wednesday's when we might do a food top up shop and buy some fresh fruit, bread and milk. We quite fancy some salmon steaks.  As you can see, I will cook once and eat twice on some meals and G's beef stew on Sunday is a portion from the freezer. 

I can't quite believe its bank holiday again today. I just want to return to normality. Hasn't it been a long festive season?? 

Thanks for popping in. Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

Funds:  Nectar points £32.50

            Asda Gift Voucher £50 (G's gift from work)

            Boots Loyalty points £14.77

            Tesco coupon     £1.50  (found a bit tatty and neglected in my purse) spent

            G's Nectar points £7.50  

            Cash spent 15p

11 comments:

  1. We are planning to stay home in January, we luckily have a Tesco express and some smaller shops in our village, so should not need to do a big shop, which is a good start to the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marlene, having decent small shops makes a big difference.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I didn't realise the Nectar points could be spent in multiples of £2.50, for some reason I thought it was multiples of £5 so this is even better for us isn't it. Top up shops at first need to be small for me so that I can try and conserve the cash.

    I think your £50 Asda card can be spent in bits as well can't it? I remember having one and using it a few times until I was left with just 1p.

    And you've also reminded me that I NEED to meal plan, I've been very lazy about this just recently!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue, I'm fairly sure you can spend multiples of 500 points which are worth £2.50 so it does make it easier to do small simple shops. And we intend to spend the Asda gift card in at least 2 separate weeks of shopping, although I'll have to reign G in as he's likely to get carried away!

      I haven't been meal planning properly for weeks so I've had to be very stern with myself and begin to do it properly once again :)

      Delete
  3. You and Sue are planning so well....I need to knuckle down and do it properly too. Having all the ideas in my head is all very well, but they'll drop out soon (advancing age means I don't remember much!) so I need to get it all down on paper. 15p for eggs and milk is a brilliant start :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the memory, Sooze, mine certainly lets me down many a time! ;)

      Delete
  4. It's not just me, then? It's quite reassuring to read that ladies younger than me have memory problems; I was worrying that I was on the way to Alzheimers. I think I need to do some crosswords on a regular basis!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, Rambler, you are definitely not alone. I think at times of stress we forget more than usual too and we have all been under stress of one sort or another over the last 2 years. Keep up the crosswords I say 😁 I do whatever taxes my brain; crosswords, word searches, quizzes etc. It can't do any harm! 😂

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had our regular order on Thursday from Tesco as with only being the two of us we didn't have many Christmas extras.. and we needed milk and new cartridges for the water filter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plan is unfolding nicely. Looking forward to seeing you meet this challenge.

    I found many years ago if I don't plan my meals for a month things get pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good use of your coupon to get the eggs and milk!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx