Monday 10 January 2022

First week over.....

The first week of the January challenge  is over and what have I learned?  Firstly, meal planning is key but secondly, the meals can be juggled if something crops up.  We have eaten heartily and fairly healthily although G has still been tucking into his stash of chocolates, not helped by the 2 boxes he has been given for his birthday 😕  He keeps offering them to me too and I don't want to be tempted!  I'm trying to increase my consumption of fruit and veg instead so this week's shopping will include more apples and some bananas. 



You might be interested to know that I did get a single lemon yesterday and G got his lemon drizzle cake for his birthday 😁  It cost 35p cash so that's been added to my total for the week making it just 76p  spent in the first week. I'm very 👍 happy with that

Do you know that I haven't found a single useful yellow sticker bargain this week? Typical 🙄

We have meals planned for today and tomorrow but then G fancies a bit of steak for later in the week so we'll shop on Wednesday again, this time at Sainsburys so we can use the Nectar points. I'm hoping the £30 worth of points will be plenty. 

Thanks for popping in and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x


Funds:  Nectar points £32.50/ spent £2.50

            Asda Gift Voucher £50 (G's gift from work)spent £20.38

            Boots Loyalty points £14.77/ spent £7.36

            Tesco coupon     £1.50  (found a bit tatty and neglected in my purse) spent

            G's Nectar points £7.50  

            Cash spent 76p

14 comments:

  1. It's very interesting when you track your spending, a couple of years ago I printed out January as a calendar sheet, we marked down every penny we spent, hubby was shocked, we did it for a couple of months, now we both are much better with our money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a jolly good idea Marlene. It's far too easy to go into a shop for one thing and come out with several items isn't it. We must be more careful this year.

      Delete
  2. I find it very hard to resist chocolate. Someone gave me a big box of Cad dairy milk for Christmas. I dare not open it so I gave it away to a single mum with three kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was kind of you, I'm sure it was very welcome.

      Delete
  3. We have got lots of chocolate and boxes to work through from Christmas. I haven't got much of a sweet tooth luckily, my downfall is savoury. The girls are having a few biscuits each day in their school snack pots so hopefully by half term we will be clear! I got lots of reduced bargains just after Christmas so the freezers are pretty full and I've been getting one of the Lidl fruit and veg boxes on a Monday and Friday which I find amazing value.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about the Lidl boxes but I've never seen any. Do you go early morning to get one?

      Delete
    2. Yes, you need to go early, by 11 I would say, and each box has a different selection of fruit and veg which is good so you can pick one which suits you.

      Delete
    3. Brilliant, Devon Mum, thank you!

      Delete
  4. A 76p spend for your first week is pretty amazing. Thank goodness you had some points and vouchers to use up though, they really helped didn't they. Hopefully they will continue to keep the spend low for you for the whole of January, giving you a good start into the year.

    Lots of folk on Facebook have been posting photos of vegan Christmas goodies being sold off really cheaply in Aldi, but I'm determined not to even go, I just know I would not be able to resist buying yet another bar of chocolate if it was only 9p!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, I'd be tempted at 9p too 😱 I dare not deviate from the shops I have points or vouchers for 😅 I don't have that much willpower Sue!

      Delete
  5. Who wouldn't want lemon drizzle cake, it is delish.. we are settling slowly in our bungalow, moved here last June, New kitchen booked for April! YEH!! I'm fed up of washing dishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you are settling in nicely. A new kitchen with a dishwasher will be fab and we'll worth waiting for 😁

      Delete
  6. We are munching our way through Christmas baking still. I can hardly wait until that is done.

    You are doing wonderfully well spending so very little and getting all you need.

    Glad G got his lemon drizzle cake.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's just awesome that you spent only 76p during the first week in January! Hope week 2 will be just as good!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx