Saturday 29 January 2022

The Result! Cider Hotpot, and a New Challenge

 I am very pleased (and amazed!) to say that we spent very little actual cash on food this month: just £4.10 so £200.00 of the £220 monthly budget has been transferred to the savings 👍😁 leaving the surplus of £15.90 in the account should we need it next month for something else, like an  increase in the  energy bill 😓 

I  want to carry on with a shopping challenge of some sort during February, especially while G is still game to do it.  Our food budget for Feb is again £220 (a 4 week month) and I would like to spend less and save the difference but, at the same time, I want to gradually replenish our food store and freezer stocks, after all we still have a lot of Winter to come.  I know we will be close to the £55 per week allocated but let's see how we do.

I have been asked what cider hotpot on my menu plan is.  It's a bit of a faff but totally delicious 😜 I parboil 2 or 3 large sliced potatoes for 7 minutes then drain them and leave to dry in their own heat....


Whilst they are cooking, slice a couple of onions and a leek......


 ...chop a couple of carrots and a bit of brocolli or any other veg you have in ......

.....cook the onion and leek in a drop of oil until soft, then add the other veg. Cook for about 5 minutes stirring gently....



......add a pint of veg stock and 1/4 pint of dry cider ......



..... bring to a simmer, add plenty of black pepper and a heaped teaspoon of dried sage and tip into a baking dish. Layer on the new potatoes.....


......top with grated cheese and cook in the centre of the oven at 180c for approx 45 minutes....


It crisps up beautifully and serves 4 good portions......


Crusty bread is good to mop up the juices especially if you are extra hungry.  We ate a portion each last night which leaves another portion each for tonight just pinged in the microwave.  No cooking! Yay!

I  would like to do a Sell & Save Challenge in February and there will be more details in my next post. I am busy sorting through cupboards and boxes as we speak! eBay have regular offers on reduced fees at the moment and I would like to take advantage of that to keep a little more of the sale price in my own pocket. 

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x


February Shopping Challenge:

£0.00/ £220



10 comments:

  1. Brilliant start to the new year, our food spend was really low as well, mainly milk, ham veg and fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done so well too Marlene. It's a good feeling isn't it :)

      Delete
  2. That Cider recipe looks sounds and looks delicious. Well done on the £200 saved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on replenishing the emergency fund! I hope you will be able to do the same in February, too! I'm wishing you well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been a good challenge month for you and next months challenge sounds equally good. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the cider in a glass alongside the meal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try thatrecipe, it sounds ideal. My monthly spend is about the same as yours. No hope of reducing it to £4.00 though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm definitely going to try that recipe; thank you for that, it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 5 Best Iron-Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron
    Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted mens wedding bands titanium Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted titanium wheels Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted titanium hair trimmer Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted titanium curling iron Iron-Tinted pure titanium earrings Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron-Tinted Iron

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx