Sunday 16 April 2023

Catching up & Growing On....

Gosh, has it only been a week since Easter Sunday?  It somehow feels much longer.

A big thank you to those who left comments on my last couple of posts, especially the ones with excellent suggestions on how to make ends meet.  I already do some of those things but some are new ideas which I can (and will) take on board, so thank you πŸ˜€

It's been much too cold and wet to do much at the allotment but one sunny morning this week we took the opportunity to check out what is happening there.

Our poor, heavily pruned Bramley apple tree is showing signs of blossom thankfully .....


As is our dessert apple.......


The forced rhubarb suddenly put on a growth spurt and has provided enough for some to be gifted to our Daughter, my Brother, a neighbour and 2 lots of delicious stewed rhubarb with custard for us.  I'd better leave it alone for a while to recover.....


G managed to put in some onions.  We've had to use a new raised bed to put them in because we've had white mould for the last two crops (grown in different areas too) which completely spoiled the crop last year.  We didn't want to risk putting them directly into the ground again.......


The strawberry plants are looking healthy and it will soon be time to uncover them for the sun to get at them......



G has risked planting the early potatoes, and has just sown seeds for beetroot, spring onion, lettuce and radishes in one of the raised beds so we just need a bit of warmth to get them going.  We have rain aplenty!  I can see that the feverfew we put in last year for the insects is coming back.  Does anyone know if we can actually use it in any other way? I've googled useage but would love to know from someone who has actually done it.

Frugal things this week:

* I've been using up bits and pieces from the kitchen freezer to make enough space to finally empty the garage freezer for defrosting (some quite creative meals!!)  This morning I defrosted it, dried it thoroughly, wiped the cabinet down and now it's switched back on to get the temperature down.  Later tonight I'll put the unopened packs of food back in so that I can carry on using up the oddments in the kitchen freezer and then defrost that  too.  It has meant a minimal spend at the supermarket this week πŸ‘

* I've had a small eBay sale of just £3.25 after postage and fees but the money has gone into the savings tin and I have a tiny bit more space in my craft storage

* Washing has been dried on the clothes airer overnight in the kitchen rather than using the tumble dryer on 2 occasions

*Whilst I've been doing housework I've turned down the heating thermostat. Boy, vacuuming and ironing doesn't half warm you up!

That's all for now....

Thanks for popping in and stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

10 comments:

  1. I make feverfew tea if I have a cold and it seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, I'll google how to make it πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. I've never grown or used feverfew so I'm no help sorry. I've also never forced any of my rhubarb, I prefer not to deplete the plants, especially now that I've only got the one. :-)

    I can tell it's getting warmer as washing on my airer is literally drying in less than 24 hours now, and a couple of days I've been able to dry it completely after a few hours on the washing line outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warmer days are definitely on the way. I can't wait!

      Delete
  3. It's an exciting if busy time of the year now as plants start re-growing and tiny seeds become seedlings, with the hope of bountiful harvests to come. My onion sets will go in a raised bed too but are currently in pots to start them off. I have always had a better crop that way. Eagerly awaiting veg seedlings to start popping up :-)
    Happy days x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how much better we feel with a bit of sunshine isn't it, Beverley. I love watching veg seedlings grow too πŸ™‚ x

      Delete
  4. Wow, your strawberries look wonderful. Very lush. I am so glad your apple tree is blossoming again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. We are so relieved that the apple tree is fighting back. Fingers crossed🀞

      Delete
  5. I hope your apple trees will give you plenty of apples and your allotment will produce lots of fruits and vegetables. It sounds like you've done a lot of very frugal things this week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie πŸ’“ xx