Tuesday 1 March 2022

And So Begins March...

First day of the new month 😃  Somehow, and I don't quite know how I did it other than the fact that G paid for our Sunday lunch in the pub, but I have 50p left from last month's allowance.   I could have held onto it and added it to my March allowance....


...but decided to pop it into my sealed pot instead which will be opened in time for Christmas shopping in early November........


For March my personal allowance is the same @ £100  but I've juggled the figures a bit to give me £10 for 'emergency' spending (like GC pocket money which threatened to derail me last month 👀) I won't need a haircut this month but I've put aside half the cost (£16) so that I will have enough for it next month.  I don't need a phone top up so £10 has gone into the birthday tin.  I will put £14 worth of fuel in my car. This leaves me with £50 for a 5 week month ie £10 per week


I will still try not to spend unnecessarily though my weekly foodbank donation will still come out of it.

March is a very expensive month:

  • Insurance for both cars
  • Road fund license for G's vehicle
  • Service and MOT for G's vehicle
  • Several birthdays including our daughter and 2 good friends who get token gifts

The money for everything bar the birthdays is in the joint account ready and waiting to pay alongside the usual Council tax, rent, energy bill, boiler insurance etc  so although we do have the money put aside it will dramatically reduce the balance 👀

The food budget is the only place where there is a little 'wriggle room'. March is a 5 week month so we have £55 x 5 = £275  to spend.  My challenge for this month is to spend less and save the difference whilst still re-stocking a little in case of emergencies.

Off we go!

Thanks so much for popping in and a big thank you to everyone who posts comments.  I don't always find the time to respond but but I do read and appreciate every single one 😘

 Sending special thoughts and prayers for the people of Ukraine 🙏

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x 


March Food Shop Challenge:

£0.00/ £275.00

7 comments:

  1. I shop in Sainsbugs and save my points all year, to be used in December. I've already got just over £20 in points (there was a bit left over from last year), which I'm pleased about. It is worrying with everything going up so much isn't it - food and fuel go up weekly, or even daily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they do, Sooze, it's hard to keep track isn't it. Each time we shop it costs a little more :/

      Delete
  2. Wow, you did amazingly well with your savings and shopping challenge and I know you can keep it going. Some months are a little heavier than others, mine is in August, so best wishes for March.
    I have been catching up with friends and their blogs and spied your crumble. I think I have some mixed fruit in the freezer so I might make some crumble here. Hubby will enjoy that.
    Have you been able to keep that cheeky squirrel away from the bird feeder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley, and yes so far so good with the pesky squirrel. He keeps trying to climb the pole and looks very puzzled when he can't go any further and slides back down. It's very funny to watch :)
      Do enjoy your crumble!

      Delete
  3. You did well to have some money over in your spends even if it was just 50p. It's keeping your eyes on the cash that is the secret isn't it, and you seem to be doing that just fine.

    And I do like a money box with no way of getting into it ... the tin opener can come out in November then and you will hopefully have a good surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue :) The tin will come in very handy for Christmas especially as I haven't allocated anything in the main budget for presents. I tend to rely on money from survey sites for those as we have cut down dramatically on the number we buy.

      Delete
  4. You did really well in February and I am looking forward to reading about how you do in March. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx