Wednesday 2 March 2022

Spending Pocket Money Wisely

 I have my first crisp £10 note of the month.... 😀


It was such a lovely sunny day on Tuesday that G decided to lay another slab on the patio so I took myself off to the village for a walk and a browse around the charity shops.  My handbag straps are coming loose and they will be difficult to re-attach so a new bag will be needed at some point.  I was shocked that the CS prices are more than I paid for my current bag when new 👀 so I didn't succumb.  I took another 12 handmade cards in to the Hospice shop along with a few other donated items.

At the pharmacy I bought paracetamol  (out of my own money) 49p x 2 = 98p.....


....then I popped into the library where they have a sale of withdrawn books at just 10p each.  I love Erica James and this Josephine Cox one is a different style to her others; a bit of a comedy, so I bought that as well.  So...20p spent.  I will remove the horrible plastic sleeves before I read them.  The dust covers underneath are usually lovely and pristine  👍.......



That came to £1.18 leaving me with £8.82 to last the week.

I wasn't going to go into too much detail about my shopping this month but comments on my last post have indicated that people like to know the nitty gritty.  So be it! If you don't want to know look away NOW! 😂

This week I really don't want to do a 'big' shop at all in order to give me a head start on the savings.  I had a fancy for a banana so popped into Sainsburys on the way back home.  I saw this cress reduced to 14p which gave me the idea of egg and cress sandwiches for lunch as I had some eggs which were right on date and needed using up.......


Sugar has been in short supply here and so has basic range pasta so when I saw minimal stocks of each in the store I snapped up a pack of  them.  The jelly babies are for G as a treat.  I'm not tempted by them luckily 😇





The total cost was £5.97 which has started off the total below....

I will need to buy a TV guide at some point but want to try to stay away from the supermarket until then.  I was really shocked to see how empty the supermarket shelves have become although whether it's because of supply problems, lack of staff to re-stock or stockpiling going on, I have no idea.  I'm hoping it's just staffing problems but who knows. 

Last night I didn't sleep very well. It took me until after 3am to drop off and then I seemed to wake every hour. Consequently I feel like a wet rag this morning 😴😳 I really must learn to empty my mind before I put out the light. Any tips for a good night's sleep? 

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x 


March Food Shop Challenge:

£5.97/ £275.00

11 comments:

  1. Okay how many of us looked away when instructed to ....yep NONE of us, we love the nitty gritty, if you stop we WILL complain!!

    You can't beat a 10p ex-library book can you, I used to get lots that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 😂🤣😂 And as for 10p ex-library books 📚 👍 Can you tell I'm on my tablet and not the desktop Sue? 😁 ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I have that struggle too ... guess what I'm on just now :-) ;-)

      Delete
  3. Love all the detail - right up my street.
    To save money you can download the Radio Times onto a laptop. Navigating it is a bit jumpy and over-reactive but I've learnt how to do it over time. I just have Freeview and it will filter out the other channels if you tap the Freeview button then line up the programmes according to time so you can scan down the 9pm column for instance quite easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or you can buy a Saturday newspaper as many of them have a week's viewing in, so you get the paper as well as the programmes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth! We don't usually buy newspapers but there is a free local newspaper each week at Morrisons and I have a feeling that TV progs might be listed in there. Thank you for jogging my memory, it will save 72p per week :)

      Delete
  5. I do love seeing what you buy (the nitty gritty). No shelves bare here as of yet, but I expect it to happen very soon.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie, I hope you don't have too many shortages in the weeks to come x

      Delete
  6. Oh, thank you for sharing the details, especially a photo of the receipt! Your bananas, at 78 pennies for a kg. are cheaper than ours! I pay $.65 for one lb. I'd pay $1.43 for a kg. of bananas, which, if I convert to British currency, amount to £1.07.
    Also, if I may ask, how big is the package of sugar that you bought? I generally pay $2.17 for a 4 lb. package of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, Bless, bananas definitely are more expensive.

    My bag of sugar should contain 1kg (2.2lbs) You spurred me on to weigh it! 1012g including the paper bag it comes in ( ie 2lbs 3.75 ozs)
    We do use it sparingly and I use it in cakes instead of the more expensive caster sugar ;)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx