Wednesday 30 March 2022

NHS Shambles

 Yesterday G had a hospital appointment to see the doctor from the pain clinic about his neck problem which is getting worse.  His cervical torticollis causes so much pain, especially when sitting, so driving is now becoming difficult. He was booked in to have a 'face to face' appointment at 3.45pm yesterday but at 11.30am the receptionist rang to say the 'telephone appointment' would be later than scheduled as the hospital IT system had gone down. He pointed out that he had had a letter asking him to visit the hospital and she said it must have been  'sent in error' as the doctor is not taking any face to face appointments at the moment.  Now as the letter gives directions to the hospital as well as mentioning an outpatient appointment, we were surprised to say the least.  I had spent £25 (which I didn't really have to spare) on petrol on my credit card to ensure I had enough fuel to get there too;  a 22 mile round trip. 

The doctor phoned around 4pm and after a lot of waffling said that there is nothing more he can do and that G has to 'learn to live with the pain'.  He also explained that there are thousands of people living with pain (we know and that is not helpful! )and G needs to book an appointment with our GP to get some pills 'for anxiety'.  Now what are the chances of actually getting to see the GP?  Zilch, I would say.  G asked if wearing a cervical collar whilst sitting would help and the doc said he had no idea who to refer him to to get one! Neither did he know how to refer him to a physio for goodness sake.  It seems we have to do our own research and pay privately for any advice.  We are not in a financial position to be able to do that right now. So.....G needs to be drugged up on a permanent basis to stop him being anxious does he?  I don't think so.....

Reasons to be grateful:

We didn't use precious fuel on a wasted journey

By staying home I got all my washing done and dried it in the sun

Our daughter is coming for lunch and a jolly good chat tomorrow 😀


Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

18 comments:

  1. My husband has had a similar report from the hospital recently. In his case, despite the amount of pain he is in, he has been told that it is not bad enough to be treated. Well, I don't want to see him when it is bad enough! You both have our sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Jo, your poor husband. Thanks so much for your sympathy for G, we are both sending ours to you both too x

      Delete
  2. I would urge you to have a look at the work of a man called Dr John Sarno. There are films on YouTube and a couple of books to read. It's a theory that he has proven about getting rid of pain without Doctor intervention and pain killers. I can tell you hand-on-heart that it works. Hubby was abandoned by Dr / Physio and Chiropractor three months ago and in desperation turned to this and we have not looked back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we'll take a look. Anything is worth a try.

      Delete
  3. Also have a look at the website of SIRPA UK which uses the Sarno methodology and is an organisation dedicated to pain relief. You may find it of help as it has a lot of info and tools. We have been in this situation where you are and I know how it feels. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so frustrating to need our NHS at the moment, and I truly don't think you can blame it all on covid, it's been underfunded for years as our society ages and needs it more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly has, Marlene, the staff are overworked and underpaid. It's all down to cost sadly.

      Delete
  5. Seems to me that there's no point getting ill anytime over pension age as you are just written off.
    Things are so bad everywhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sue, my sister and her poor husband are 82 and finding it very hard to get any help. BiL keeps falling down and my Sis (all 5ft 2" of her) has to try to pick him up. He broke a front tooth, bruised his lips and hurt his knee a couple of days ago. She's in Suffolk, I'm in Staffordshire so I live too far away to help. G and I are 10 years younger so are not looking forward to ageing any more than we are already :(

      Delete
  6. Some nhs trusts have self referral for physio - may be worth searching 'physio' under your hospital's website?

    I'm a huge fan of the NHS right now - I had my first mammogram end of Dec - recalled in Jan and diagnosed with breast cancer - operation in Feb which removed a 63mm tumour with invasive cancer but no spread elsewhere as yet as was caught early. The NHS have now paid for my tumour to be genetically typed to see if I would benefit from chemo - I've read that this test costs around £3k. Then I'll need radiotherapy and hormone treatment. They've been fantastic and service has been exemplary.
    GP continues to be rubbish with no availability, mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, Mrs G, I'm so glad that your health problem was spotted in time. Cancer, rightfully, takes priority especially the treatable kinds. I do hope that you get all the help you need. Sending hugs x
      I've looked for physio as you suggested but its a private pay- it-yourself service and I'm not sure it would help G anyway. Osteopathy and the Chiropractor are the same. I do appreciate your comment, thank you :)

      Delete
  7. The situation with the NHS is dire.. we moved here to Wales last year and what do we miss the most, the Drs. It's been so hard to get even a telephone app. so I have dreaded being ill but have been so grateful this week to actually see one.. I do hope your husband can get some good pain relief, bless him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a friend that was told the same thing about her pain. One would hope doctors could do something other than say learn to live with it. I hope your Hubby finds some way of relieving the pain he is in.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The NHS is broken. No one seems to know what's going on. appointments, operations cancelled. My hubby's triple bypass was cancelled last week, they said they'd ring Monday.....still not phone call. Disgusted by the whole situation. I am grateful I have a brilliant surgery who do listen and do ring when they say they will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tania, how awful for you both. You are right, the NHS IS broken. I hope he gets sorted soon so that you can both get on with your lives. Sending hugs and fingers firmly crossed for a new appointment soon x

      Delete
  10. So sorry to read that your husband is in pain and the doctors can't really do anything. That must be so frustrating and painful! I do hope that he is able to be seen by a different doctor who might be able to help him.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx