Thursday 26 March 2020

The Kindness of Folk

Thank you to all who left lovely, heartwarming comments on my last post.  I appreciate each and every one.

Today's post is one of gratitude and appreciation:

For the retired Doctors and Nurses who have come out of retirement in droves (11,000 of them) in order to help our hospitals care for the sick,

For the volunteers who didn't hesitate to step forward to help the housebound and needy.  560,000 of them at the count this morning have volunteered to shop, deliver supplies or just to be on the end of the phone if someone needs to talk.

For the postmen and women who are carrying on delivering important letters to households across the country.

And for the sensible, caring people who are staying home, as requested, probably losing out financially at the end of the crisis, but still doing their bit to halt this invisible enemy.

God bless you all x

Now....trivial chatter! :) …...Yesterday was spent washing, drying everything on my new whirly line and generally pootling about the house.  We want to lay a few more paving slabs to extend the patio a bit to make it a rectangle of 4 slabs x 5 instead of 3 x 4 IYSWIM but G can only manage to lay 1 slab per day.  In his younger days it would have all been done in a day, but those days of youthful energy are well and truly gone....lol.  We ate our eggs on toast in the garden and by 3pm the sun was so lovely and comforting that I picked up my book, poured myself a small glass of port and read for an hour.  Bliss.....

On Tuesday I made a large Quorn cottage pie of which we shared half with veg and gravy, then ate the other half last night with more veg and more gravy.  We don't have much left in the fridge in the way of vegetables, about half a dozen carrots and a quarter of a cauliflower.  G has eaten the last of his satsumas and we are running a little low on fresh milk too. Tea tonight will be a fish dish.  I'm not sure which one yet as we will decide what we fancy later but it will be one off the list I shared with you.....

How are you managing with your meals?  It's amazing how being stuck at home focusses the mind, isn't it.  Are you finding that you are not as hungry due to lack of exercise?  We are ...

Before the lockdown I ordered some new pyjamas and this is the slogan on the top.  It turned out prophetic don't you think!



Anyway, that's all for now, stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

10 comments:

  1. Our daughter delivered a fruit and veg box today, with bread, eggs and milk, so we are good for many days. Our portion size has dropped again, and often we miss breakfast or lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely daughter you have :) We are certainly not as hungry since the enforced inactivity. Take care x

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to avoid the fridge. Boredom leads to snacking. Im trying to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Tania, I can always manage something sweet but I'm trying hard not to give in. I'm sure I'll be putting on weight anyway at this rate. Stay safe x

      Delete
  3. I find I am eating more cookies. I try to limit myself to two. I made a batch of peanut butter criss cross ones last week, using staples from the pantry. I hope you are able to get more fruits and vegetables. You sound like you are coping well. Tomorrow I pick up my bi-weekly box of produce from the California farmers at our local co-op. What a relief it is to have that service. The garden has been providing blood oranges, Meyer lemons, and herbs. Soon the rhubarb and apricots will be ready to pick. If you lived closer, I could give you some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought of your lovely fruit is making my mouth water, and those cookies, Stephanie,...yummy :) I wish I did live closer! Stay safe x

      Delete
  4. I really think that the best is being brought out in most of the population.

    I am happy to hear you are doing well during this time.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jackie, people around here are complying with the rules and we all clapped together at 8 pm last night for the health workers etc. Stay safe x

      Delete
  5. Just catching up whilst I have internet connection which is patchy at the moment. We certainly do have a lot to be thankful for, it is so nice that everyone is pulling together. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like those PJs, so appropriate especially now. we are managing to cook at home every eve, but my husband said that next week he wants to order some take-out to support local restaurants which hopefully will not close down. yes, we are thankful to be safe and hope all others continue to take necessary precautions for their well being as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx