Wednesday 4 March 2020

On Stockpiling and Pensioners Kneeling!

Well we've just been down on hands and knees again to get a new gas meter reading as requested by British Gas.  It was like a comedy show with me holding up the lid, G kneeling on a plastic bag in the drizzle to read the (pretty illegible) meter, then swapping places to double check...lol...I hope it's correct!  At least it looks as though we are paying enough on our monthly DDs to cover the cost so far and the usage should be lighter during the coming months.

Today we had a renewal reminder for G's car insurance which has increased by over £35 since last year.  G phoned and haggled and we have saved £73 by reducing the annual mileage and by adding me on as an additional driver.  Who would have expected that? :)  This actually cancels out the increase that I had to pay on mine, which can only be good news.

Sue at A Smaller and Simpler Life has asked if anyone is stockpiling food due to the Coronavirus.  I won't be.  I will buy just a little extra: maybe some tinned and frozen veg, but I'm not going to panic.  G has bought me a bread maker so I will be able to make bread, soup and cake.  I tried making bread by hand on several occasions but I'm hopeless.  I can't knead it thoroughly enough because my hands hurt.  I've already made 2 loaves in the bread maker and they turned out very well.  I stored the leftover bread in a plastic bag after squeezing out the air and it lasted another 2 days.  It made wonderful toast too.

Are you making plans in case of shortages?

I must extend a warm welcome to Amanda, my new follower...hello!  Thanks for joining us :)

9 comments:

  1. extra paper towels for hand washing... toilet paper and facial tissues for nose blowing ( lol) . If things get bad I will order fresh stuff and milk online for delivery to our home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We keep a full larder and freezer in our home, so we could at any time manage for weeks without shopping, we don't use much milk and make our own bread. I have purchased an extra pack of loo rolls and a few more boxes of tissues. Fresh food we would have to see whats available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always have extra in due to the lack of ferries so my need to stockpile any further is not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few more loo rolls if we have to be at home more, oh, and tissues ( I normally use cotton hankies)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a few more loo rolls and a few more tins. My freezer was fairly full anyway. I bought a large sack of potatoes and 5lbs each carrots and onions. I could get through without shopping for several weeks but we would get short of fresh fruit and. Thing is, when do you say I would rather not go out shopping and mixing with people and start using the supplies? When do I stop going to choir practice where 50-60 people are singing their hearts out in a small hall?
    I have a cruise booked with my elderly Mum in early June and we lose all the money if we cancel. So many things to worry over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, Catherine, you are so right. I think the main thing is to go about our lives as usual and just keep enough stock in for 2 weeks just in case we have to self isolate. It's people panicking who cause shortages anyway. I do hope you and your mum can take your holiday. Time together is so precious x

      Delete
  6. I am not stocking uo, but I am trying to get our son Kris stocked up a bit. More because with his broken hip he can't get around to buy his groceries and had pretty much run out of everything.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am slowly adding to my stockpile again. It just makes me feel more secure, in general. I have been picking up what's on sale. I got some canned apricots, an extra loaf of wheat bread, a few bags of pasta, five tins of tuna, a huge block of cheddar cheese, and some ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have bought a few tins of dried milk and a couple of extra packets of rice but we tend to do that now and then so it's not really unusual for me to buy extra for the food store. At this moment I am not overly concerned but that may well change

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx