Monday 30 March 2020

The Perils of Click and Collect

Firstly, a warm welcome to granny j...hello!

We collected the shopping from the 'click and collect' point at Sainsburys at the allotted hour (9am) on Saturday, but it was a disappointing experience to be honest.  Shortages meant that 13 items out of 42 were unavailable including 8 substitutions.  There was no washing powder, gravy granules or (shocked face) NO baked beans!  We are down to one last big tin and 2 small ones.  The worst thing was we were not given a receipt so have absolutely no idea how much we were charged for the shopping.  I shouted the question (from much more than 2 metres) to the young man bringing out the orders who simply said that the receipt hadn't printed out properly.  Great....I'll have to wait and see how much has been taken from the account once the system updates in a couple of days.  I think it will be a while before we risk another similar shopping expedition even if we can get a slot.  I'm living in hope of getting a home delivery at some point in the next 2 - 3 weeks, but I really do appreciate how stretched they are.

I wrote another list of meals that we can make and we should be able to stretch to 3 weeks worth with what we have in.  DD is going to try ordering some washing powder for me in her click & collect order in just over a week's time.  Meanwhile, I have enough to keep us clean :)

Sunday lunch was the bendy veg from the fridge with a veggie sausage for me and a bit of beef stew I found in the freezer for G, served with baby potatoes, a couple of onion rings each, and some frozen baby Yorkshire puddings (not served still frozen, obviously...lol  why does good English grammar desert me in times of stress?...lol)  Pudding was a Magnum lolly; naughty but very nice...

Lunch today will be pizza, I think, and perhaps egg and chips for tea tonight.  I have a lemon so will make a lemon drizzle cake later this afternoon.  Comfort food indeed ;)

Are you managing to get supplies? Are you finding shortages in your area?

That's all for now.  Stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x




18 comments:

  1. Between trying to find paper towels, toilet paper and disinfectant spray / cleansers that have been out of stock or sell out in minutes on arrival at stores, and then all the limits of items allowed (usually one of each item only) and also trying to purchase food for my wheelchair-bound/double amputee son (he lives in his own apartment) who is also high risk as is I (I'm 62) it is has a nightmare challenge. I live in the hotspot of Georgia here in the USA, small population but highest rates in the state - we only have click & collect and no home delivery food services or I would have done that for my son at least. It is a frightening, terrifying state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly have your work cut out Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles. Stay safe. This WILL end ((hugs))XX

      Delete
  2. Here in the US the stores are operating about like those where you live. You order 25 items and maybe get 15 and 5 of those are substitutions. We were well stocked before the pandemic hit with canned food, meat and cheese as well as paper goods. I'm not sure how long it will be before we start having some interesting combinations of food. We won't starve though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how the most unusual food combinations taste ok at the moment ((hugs)) x

      Delete
  3. Just managed a Tesco click and collect. Basics like milk and bread were all available but quite a lot of frozen products missing. Like frozen fruit and vegetables. I suspect they have a frozen delivery pending. Still no pasta or baked beans. I think cupboards all over the uk will be full of these things. On a plus note got loo roll. Very welcome sight as the cupboard was bare. No online slots for next three weeks. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting loo roll! I bet not enough for 3 weeks though :(

      Delete
  4. Luckily we have a daughter who is getting supplies and doing bank etc but if she falls we are snookered. My son is a nurse and is in demand, I can't expect him to run about he is exhausted as it is and the other son lives in Scotland. We have been on the Government website to see if we can get help as Tom is terminally ill with a lung complaint and its like walking through mud. Best just take one day at a time.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where my parents live they get priority delivery from Sainsburys. Go to their website where it will say no slots available but it will state if you are vulnerable then register with gov.uk Follow the link , register then wait, then next time you visit Sainsburys and log in, a few slots will appear. My parents are 90, one with dementia and one with COPD and this worked for them. Hope this helps

      Delete
    2. i did make a little progress on this one yesterday , speak to your local council most have linked with the red cross and are delivering food parcels to get the government parcel , you must either have received the letter that informs you that they class you as vulnerable or ring your GP who will add you to the list . They have started deliveries this week

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the information lee and kate. This might help lots of people who are struggling. Good luck Briony ((hugs)) You must be so proud of your son right now x

      Delete
  5. We have a well stocked cupboard so we won't starve but limited supplies are available. Delivery slots are an impossibility. Difficult times. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shopping here is just the same as you describe it, only daughter collects for us, we try not to order too often as daughter has to go out and collect her own food.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was there this morning at opening time and the shelves were certainly better stocked than the same time last week. Maybe not the variety and brands we are used to but certainly enough to manage with. No hope of any delivery slots or click and collect here though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have a smashing little mini supermarket just around the corner from our house. Most food is a bit more expensive than the giants but we don't mind paying a bit extra. It's been really well stocked too. Thankfully we arent' 'fast food' people as I love to cook. I bet all across Britain cupboards are being emptied of all those tins and packets of out of date (but perfectly safe to eat) stuff that sit in the back of the cupboard. Please stay safe.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I went - for ours and my elderly parents - it was a much more calm affair. A veeery long queue, 2m apart - yet once inside absolutely no respect for this - people just too close!! Plenty of stock though but limits on quantities which is what the shops should've done from day 1. It all upset me though - I did have a little cry - not helped by banging my head on a shelf!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mrs LH, you poor soul. It does all sometimes become a little too much, doesn't it. Stay well my lovely and gentle ((HUGS)) to you x

      Delete
  10. I have been managing to get most of what we need when shopping. However sometimes things are just not there.

    I am trying to only go to one store the one day a week I do shop, and have been trying to figure out a way that would mean only going out every second week. Fresh produce and fruit are the only things that might not last for two weeks.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been fortunate. I stocked up at Costco the week before things got hectic. My neighbors had trouble last week, but things seem to be calmer now. I belong to a co-op, so I pick up a basket of fresh produce from them every other week. It's nice to know that the fresh veggies are there. I grow a lot of fruit here in California, which helps. I use flannel squares for tp most of the time, so the stores being out of tp didn't affect me. I keep several rolls in the cupboard. I gave a couple to my neighbor. I have been planting like crazy. I think in times like these, having a kitchen garden can really give you a feeling of security.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx