Thursday 12 March 2020

Empty Shelves & Panic

I feel very lucky that we only live just over a mile away from the supermarket.  Many of the shelves are totally empty of anything including toilet rolls, kitchen roll, pasta, soap (of any description) and, of course, hand sanitiser. Bleaches and antiseptic sprays are very low too.  I always try to buy a replacement of this kind of thing as soon as I open the last one but it's not always possible right now.  I find that I'm having to visit the supermarket several times a week at the moment just to snap up what I need if they happen to be restocking when I go in.  The store management and staff are doing a tremendous job under very difficult circumstances.  There wouldn't be a problem if people didn't panic!  I feel so sorry for people who can't afford to stock up and who have finite sources of income.  Even baby milk has been cleared from the shelves in one supermarket.  For goodness sake....think of others....
 As it stands, food supplies are ok, thankfully.

 I have yearned for a bread maker for yonks now because my skills as bread maker are abysmal.  I can't knead thoroughly enough because it hurts my hands so the bread fails every time.  G offered to use one loaf as a door stop last time I tried!  He has, however, come up trumps and bought me a bread maker.  £49.99 from Lidl....



And I can work it! This was my first attempt: a small loaf.  It was delicious..... so we are ok for fresh bread for as long as I can buy strong bread flour :)


Whilst in Morrisons I managed to snag one of these boxes containing 6 apples and 5 lemons for £1....



One lemon was just turning so I sliced it up along with two more and froze them to put into drinks.  The other two will be used to make a lemon drizzle cake (hopefully, better risen this time!)


How are you getting on with buying your weekly groceries?  Are you struggling to get what you need?

Anyway, stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be.  Hugs x

18 comments:

  1. We love our bread maker, it's great to make a loaf anytime. We always keep a good food cupboard and freezer, both are full. We did a big Asda shop a couple of weeks ago, we only go about every 2-3 months, so again we are stocked on loo rolls, ect. We are planning to spend time at home and not go out anywhere, hubby is on the at risk list. It's beginning to feel scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Poppy, that is scary for you. We are both 70 too so really hope that we don't get it either. What a worrying time for you x

      Delete
  2. Not too bad. A few things missing but I am trying to make sure I have some tasty extras in stock (herbs, spices etc) so when we are down to quinoa, cous cous, cheap pasta, etc they will not seem so dull! There was life before loo rolls - I might have to buy a newspaper and find scissors. LOL. I remember the supermarket fights last time - 1980s?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking to my friend about toilet roll and sugar shortages late 70s?? I've never had sugar since.

      Delete
    2. Golly Trish, I remember my dad using cut up newspaper! I do remember shortages of things in the past, like bread during strikes, but not complete panic like we have at the moment. The virus has everyone spooked.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new bread maker. I have been stocking up on staples, too. I use flannel squares for toilet paper, most of the time. Looks like I should make some more soap today, and stock up on lye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you will have plenty of soap Stephanie. Not sure about using flannel squares myself.... I notice that the virus has reached California too. Stay safe xx

      Delete
  4. I've never ever seen any hand sanitiser on the shelves - just the empty shelves so far! Today in Tesco there was no toilet roll whatsoever, nor any pasta, nor any Heinz baked beans. Plenty of other food though. Luckily for us we don't really eat pasta, rice or lentils, etc. so it's not usually on my list. My local town was almost deserted today - as were many of the shops - even M&S who have a sale on at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's spooked everyone hasn't it. I'm trying to carry on as normal but I do prefer being in the open air to being inside a supermarket :/

      Delete
  5. Well done on the breadmaker; we bought ours about a year ago and still love it. This last couple of weeks I have had difficulty buying bread flour (I use half wholemeal and half white). I did buy an extra bag of white in Lidl last week, which is good as today when I went there was no flour at all on the shelves. I managed to get a bag of wholemeal bread flour from Co-op, which was lucky as I was running low. I do need to get some more plain white flour too, but it's not too desperate for another week or so. Lidl are running low and running out on many things, no so great as the next nearest supermarket is around 10 miles away. It is difficult for people on low incomes, and also people who cannot vary the time they go to the shop. I do have fixed hours and work out of town, but could, if necessary nip off for half hour but many people cannot do this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be the problem Alison if I am unable to get flour or dried yeast. I have enough for a few loaves yet though. Time will tell. You are so right about not having time or the money to shop at odd times, not everyone can. I feel very lucky in that respect.

      Delete
  6. I’m not loyal to any supermarket, so have been to most of them in the weeks or so. People have been going mad! There are very few toilet rolls, soap of any kind, pasta, rice, tinned goods (especially baked beans!). No flour to be had. I did get some ‘posh’ flour at a farm shop. No doubt the situation will get worse too. My freezer is full, so not too worried, but it’s just odd things that I’m running out of and can’t replace because of the panic buying. There’s a very selfish mentality at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selfish is the word for sure, Ann, I find it hard to get my head around it. There was no bread flour yesterday at all but I'm sure things will settle down soon. Take care and stay safe x

      Delete
  7. My bread maker is doing it's thing this morning. Only I am going to make buns. The first batch will be for our youngest son, and the second batch for us. Since the oven will be on I plan on making cookies and a casserole for dinner as well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what time do you want me to come over Jackie? ;) I bet your home had a delicious smell yesterday.
      Stay safe xx

      Delete
  8. I have a theory that if a shopkeeper put a notice above any random item, stating that sales were restricted to 2 per person, he would clear that shelf within the hour! Maybe we should suggest that ploy, choosing a particularly unwanted item, to divert the panic from the loo rolls and pasta!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx