Wednesday 18 March 2020

Battening Down The Hatches...

Firstly a warm welcome to my new follower Carla...hello!

After this next weekend we know that over 70's will need to stay at home as much as possible for a 3 week trial period.  We all know that supermarket shelves are emptied as soon as they are re-stocked so I have had to go against my principles and buy a little extra to tide us over the next 3 weeks.  My fridge looks like this this morning....


There's plenty of veg and apples in the bottom drawer of the above too.


The eagle eyed among you will have noticed the bottle of dry cider in the door.  It's for cider hotpot !!  I'm not going to resort to drinking...yet... ;)  Because G is on so much medication he can't have even a sip of his favourite beer so we have compromised and put cider into a hotpot.  The alcohol burns off during cooking (most of it anyway) and as I only use 1/4 pint in a 4 portion recipe he can have some.   I'm hoping that as it's still cider, rather than fizzy, in a screw top bottle that it will keep for another hotpot in a few days. The freezer was already reasonably full of fish, veg, oven chips, frozen fruit etc which is a relief.

I am still unable to buy bread flour but can manage for a while. We are using every stale scrap we have for toast.   Sainsbugs released 3 or 4 delivery slots for today but I have left them for someone more in need than we are and will just keep checking for a slot around 2 weeks time.

My lovely younger brother who is 64 rang me yesterday morning.  He had woken up at 6am and decided to go to the supermarket at 7am when they opened.  He asked if there was anything I needed and brought me some long-life milk, some pasta and a pack of 9 toilet rolls.  He has to be extra careful because his wife is 76 and has chest problems so he rang the bell and handed me the shopping through the open door.  I couldn't even give him a hug which was very hard for both of us.  As we all know a hug at any time of stress is a comfort but we didn't dare. So sad....

I was due to go with DD and family to a pub on Saturday for a Mother's day treat but we have decided to cancel.  It wouldn't be wise.  I am 70 and Son in Law is 53 but with an existing chest problem.

The GC are off school today.  They don't have enough teachers so they have been given learning packs to work through at home. GD is 15 and will work diligently, GS is 13 and it will be a struggle to keep him off his bloomin' PS !

G's hospital appointment tomorrow has been cancelled (no surprise there) and his visit to the GP yesterday resulted in him having to set up an online account with Patient Access in order to get his medication delivered direct to our local pharmacy.  GP surgery visits are being curtailed for the foreseeable future.

I ordered a green bin for garden waste yesterday from the local council ( it cost me almost £30) and it was delivered at 7.45am by a couple of workers who put the bin by the door, rang the bell and scarpered!  We waved to each other across the street ....lol...

Right...I'm off to the Chiropodist this afternoon.  At least it's a one to one appointment and he will not be too close :/  so I'll pop my library book back at the same time.  I won't get any more because I have some books from the charity shop to read instead and I might not be able to go out to return library ones.

I'll be back soon with allotment news but for now take a look at the cheery sight this morning....our pink road sweeper!  Isn't it fab?


Bye for now, stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

13 comments:

  1. My daughter lives in Jersey and they have just been notified that they will not be charged for overdue books for the foreseeable future. Another world Jersey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby had a hospital appointment over the phone this morning he is in an at risk group and has had pneumonia in the last 2 years. It saves us a 80 mile round journey and £3 parking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will happen more and more, Tania. G was suppose to be getting a TENS machine tomorrow though and they can't do that via phone. I guess he will have to go without :(

      Delete
  3. Bit worried about our library books and am waiting to hear from them. Not rushing to take them back forsure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps they will grant several weeks leeway like in Jersey, Trish. Stay safe x

      Delete
  4. I live in Canada. Libraries here are closed and books are not 'due' until they reopen. Fines will be waived. The last open day reminded me of the movie, It's a Wonderful Life, with James Stewart and the run on the bank. There was definitely a run on books. Reading is such a comfort. Stay well all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Glenda, where would we be without books. Luckily I have 5 in my 'to read' pile and 3 more which I would happily read for a second time. We need to escape more than ever at the moment, don't we. Stay safe x

      Delete
  5. Glad that you are stocked up for the next three weeks. I have been planting fruit trees and will put in vegetables once the danger of a frost has passed. I hope you are able to purchase more flour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie. You must feel so lucky to be able to plant and sow for future crops. We desperately hope that we will still be able to use our new allotment despite the restrictions imposed. G has already put in potatoes. Fingers crossed. Stay safe x

      Delete
  6. The situation is terrifying, Laurie, especially as we don't know when it will end. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad that you stocked up. Stores here are opening early for older shoppers but the shelves are all pretty empty.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same everywhere, I think, Jackie.
      Stay safe x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx