Tuesday 10 January 2023

Iceland, a Memoir & a Birthday

 Low Spend  No - Cash Spend Challenge week #2

This week we wanted to shop at Iceland to spend on the vouchers I won instead of cash.  Although G came with me 😵 I didn't want to spend willy nilly just because it would be 'free' but we only had an hour car parking  before we had to pay so had to make some snap decisions.  This is what we got.....


Lots of fish and Quorn products for the garage freezer, and G got pop, crisps and cookies 👍 The chicken dippers are a gift for our daughter as the kids like them so much.....


......which came to a total of £40.05 but, because it was Tuesday, we got a 10% pensioner's discount which, with an offer price, gave a net figure of  £35.37. .......



I'm confident that we won't need to buy much for 2 weeks now, other than milk, and that we can keep the balance of the voucher untouched for a while.   I really don't like shopping in Iceland for the following reasons:

  • It's not easy to get to for us
  • You only get 1 hour free parking after which you have to pay online via a smartphone.  I wouldn't have a clue how to do that, so it's a bit of a rush
  • There are only the big deep trollies which hurt my back to empty
  • You need a £1 coin for the trolley
  • The checkout is too fast for me resulting in my hurling the shopping back into the trolley as it scans with G desperately packing what he can ie fresh and frozen items together! Squashed bread...the lot 👀
  • There is no access to a quiet area at the store to re-pack the bags

Positives:

10% discount for us oldies on Tuesdays! 😀

A Memoir:

After all the coverage, outrage and indignity of Prince Harry's media revelations, I checked on the library website to see if I could reserve his book 'Spare'.  I'll read it but refuse to spend money on a copy of it.  I am #105 in the queue.  Obviously 104 other people feel the same! 

Are you buying a copy?

A Birthday:

Yesterday was G's birthday.  He became 73 thus catching up with me!   He was sent some garden centre gift vouchers through the post,  DD gave him some and I popped a £5 one in his card (we don't usually buy each other gifts) making £25 which he is planning on spending on veg seeds for the allotment.  More free food to look forward to!  DD also gave him a voucher for cake and tea/coffee for 2 people at our favourite plant nursery so I'm sharing the treat sometime this week 😜


Funds:    

Iceland vouchers (won) £100 /  £35.37 spent       
Morrisons voucher (G's gift from work) £50/ £42.86 spent
Nectar points  £11.75/ £5.00 spent
Boots points £7.28
Cash spent £0.00

Thanks so much for popping in and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

16 comments:

  1. Well, you've made me smile today. I was reading Sue in Suffolk's blog when I noticed Iceland on your blog, in her reading list in the sidebar. Being a serious Icelandophile, along I dashed, only to find myself once more thwarted by Iceland the shop. Never mind. My mistake. Well done on all your savings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry Rustic Pumpkin! I know very little about Iceland, the country, but a lot more about the food store 😊 thanks for popping in anyway 🤗

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying following this and its making me think about my food spend a lot more ! thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you're enjoying reading along, AnjiDot, I think we all need to be more mindful of what we are buying in order to make ends meet. I'm happy to inspire you my lovely 😊👍

      Delete
  3. Ten percent is a nice discount. That sounds stressful to shop in such a hurry. Things take longer as we get older. Glad you are enjoying your yummy snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was stressful, Stephenie, and we have certainly slowed down in later years :o(

      Delete
  4. Your disadvantages remind me of mine when we go to Costco here.

    Nope not purchasing that book at all. Not worth it in my opinion.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi and Lidl here are the same too, Jackie, they make me fumble all the more.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to your G, my hubby is 73 as well, we love to shop in Iceland on a Tuesday as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the birthday greetings Marlene :)
      I do find Iceland so rushed! although worth it to get the 10% discount.

      Delete
  6. Avoiding all mentions of that book and definitely not reading. I think he comes across as a spoilt teenager who protests too much!
    I've never shopped in an Iceland as they are all miles away at the moment, well done on your savings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue. Iceland is a bit too far away for us to use regularly and we tend to shop in Sainsburys and Morrisons the most.

      Delete
  7. I won't be buying Harry's book, after watching the television interview where he narrated snippets of it, it really would not be my type of reading at all. I'm glad I watched the interview, but I think watching it with our age and experience just highlighted that he needs some more maturity, even the interviewer who is a long term friend of his was trying to set some things straighter. He might regret doing both the interview and writing the book when he's older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re Harry: he seems to be digging himself into a hole and I feel like saying "stop digging love and just shut up!" I think he'll live to regret opening up so much too.

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday to G!
    Sorry the shopping had to be done in a rush, but, the 10% off is nice! And well done with staying within your budget and not spending any cash!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx