Tuesday 3 January 2023

First Shop of January...Morrisons

 The first shopping trip since before Christmas was today at Morrisons.  We used G's gift voucher to stock up with staples, sausages & a piece of steak for  him,......


....a couple of ready meals, chicken pies, ice cream and Quorn products for curries and cottage pies....



The object of the exercise this month is not to feel deprived, just to manage without spending much cash, so when I saw this birthday cake reduced to £3.50 it was silly not to splurge 😋



The total came to £42.86 and I knew something was wrong as I got it to roughly £40.19 in my head.  On checking the receipt, I could see that the offer of 3 Quorn items for a fiver wasn't showing so I went to customer services where I returned one Quorn item giving me a refund of £2.49.  The cashier paid it out in cash rather than back on the card which complicates my calculations a bit 😏 so I've put the cash to one side and will count the whole total of £42.86 as a spend.




Funds:    
Iceland vouchers (won) £100              
Morrisons voucher (G's gift from work) £50/ £42.86 spent
Nectar points  £11.75
Boots points £7.28

At lunchtime I used the whole 300g bag of Quorn pieces for a quick curry and half will be going into the freezer for another day.  There should be enough from this shop to feed us for a week.  I should only need to buy milk for the weekend, I think, so I'll use the cash refund for that.

I was hoping that 2023 would start off healthier for the family but DD has been diagnosed with pleurisy this morning.  She has been prescribed Doxycycline, an antibiotic, but started vomiting almost immediately and is awaiting a call back from the GP. I rang my own pharmacist in the village for advice and he said to take no more. Lord help us. Will it never end?

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

8 comments:

  1. Gosh I hope your daughters okay, at least it will all have been out of her system almost as soon as it went it, which is exactly what happened when I was put on to full strength codeine by the doctor last year, turned out I was extremely allergic to it.

    You've started the year well with your shopping, being aware of what we spend is half the battle with saving money isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue, she's feeling a little better today despite not having any antibiotics to take. Pills always cause other problems don't they :(

      Delete
  2. I am really allergic to antibiotics - but with me it is breathing and stomach problems which is not what you want on top of pleurisy - sometimes it is the fillers and additives that I am allergic too more than the actual drug. The last time I took antibiotics was in 1985 and they ran out of options to give me that did not have really bad side effects - I have to keep myself well in other ways to avoid ever having to have them for an illness. Hope they can find an alternative for her. You did well on the shopping front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crikey...you never know what's in these things do you :o/

      Delete
  3. So sorry that your daughter had such a bad reaction to the antibiotic. Hopefully they find something that work well.

    You did very well with your shopping.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job with your shopping. The cake sounds delicious, and was a good bargain. Hope your daughter is feeling better. Sometimes I think bone broth with vegetables is the best medicine. I will have to google pleurisy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear that your daughter has pleurisy and can't tolerate the antibiotics. Hope she is able to find another remedy,
    You did great with your first shopping trip of the year! That cake was a bargain and you'll enjoy having a slice or two of it from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx