Tuesday 28 April 2020

Growing Food!

As yesterday was such a mild sunny day with rain forecast for later in the week, I went with G to the allotment for an hour of fresh air and exercise after lunch.  I was amazed at how things are putting on growth spurts.

The strawberries have flowers on them ....


The potatoes are showing.....



The broad beans and cabbages have also had a growth spurt......



The 'test' carrots are showing and the leeks are planted in the raised bed...….



G has erected a trellis and a wigwam of canes which will be used to grow beans and peas.  3 bean plants have been put in already as a trial.  As this is a new (to us)  plot everything is trial and error.  I am a complete novice and G far from expert in the matters of fruit and veg growing.  We will have to make copious notes regarding successes or otherwise so that we know what to grow next year....



One mistake we have already made is with my grape vine.  We are not sure where to site it so have left it in it's pot for now.  G put some manure on the surface then read that manure should not be used ...ooops....we'll see what happens.....




I must admit that just a short time spent earthing up the spuds and watering made me feel much better and a bit more relaxed.  I did, however, still feel guilty leaving the house.

We woke up this morning to gentle rain falling and it's still raining now.  It will do the garden and allotment a power of good.

Gratitudes

For the bin men collecting the refuse this morning but waiting until I was awake before clattering their way down the street ;)

For being able to video call DD and family last night and seeing for myself that they are all still well, happy and bouncy :)

For Boris being well enough to get back to work and show us that it is possible to survive this awful virus

What are you grateful for today?

Stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

12 comments:

  1. It's all looking really good and looks like it will be seriously productive. This rain has come in the nick of time for our veggies hasn't it :-)

    I'm grateful for so many things at the moment, but totally pissed off at others. I'm trying valiantly to let the gratitude drown out the pissed off-iness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why I enjoy your blog so much, Sue, you tell it like it is!...lol...I totally understand your pissed off-iness!
      And, yes, the rain is very welcome.

      Delete
  2. Your allotment looks great. I must check to see if there are any here. I like a small one, you can sometimes get a half one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tania, ours is a half plot and there's plenty of space to work on. I hope you are lucky enough to get one too.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you are doing really well with the allotment good for you. I am thankful that we have ample food and a roof over our heads with no debt. My heart goes out to all those that have been affected by this terrible pandemic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you MM. Yes, many people are really suffering with one thing and another: health, finances, relationships etc. I feel very lucky too.

      Delete
  4. Glad to hear that Boris is recovering. That looks like a great start to your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really having garden envy right now. There is a forecast for snow here again one day next week. I sure hope they are wrong as I plan on putting some bulbs in the ground on the weekend.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow? Oh my goodness Jackie. I really hope that they are wrong and you can get your bulbs in safely x

      Delete
  6. I think a whole new family of gardeners is appearing because of the virus. People that have never grown anything before are discovering a love of gardening and food growing. I am looking forward to reading about your successes and failures. It's so exciting producing your own fruit and veg. Stay safe. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right, Cherie, and Monty Don seems to have the same thought according to the TV prog last night. I'm sure we WILL have failures but it's fun trying! Stay well x

      Delete
  7. I am grateful that our family and friends continue to be safe and doing well. But at the same time, I am saddened by those who have lost loved ones and dear friends. It's nice that you have a garden space to keep your mind off current news events and even better yet that you will have some fresh vegetables and fruit!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx