Tuesday 21 April 2020

A Good Result & A Trauma

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post regarding the M & S food box delivery.  Your comments gave me the courage to do something about it.  After jumping through a good many hoops, including doing online 'chat' with an adviser, I obtained the customer service email address and sent off a (polite) complaint including a photograph of the damaged goods.  To give M & S their due, within 24 hours I had received a sincere apology as well as a £10 e-gift card to be used against a future purchase.  They have also promised to refund the £3.99 delivery charge.

Yesterday, I fished out the tin of corned beef to make G some sandwiches and found that the 'button' at the base of the tin can be depressed quite easily so the tin isn't sealed properly.  I dare not use it.....so another email has been sent because if it's a manufacturing problem they need to be aware of it.  It could be dangerous to eat it surely?

In the end we ate the M & S baked beans with chips for lunch, then I got out the bread maker and baked a small loaf to have with soup at teatime.  I ate the first (beautifully crusty) slice with a tin of Weight Watchers tomato soup and G had some bread with a tin of Country Veg Soup. Delicious, although I can't imagine that my WW soup has made much difference to the weight gained during lockdown....lol...

I had a bit of a trauma at the end of last week.  For the first time in my life I developed what I imagined to be cystitis ie going for a pee every half an hour and with accompanying stinging and irritation. I put up with it for 3 days then couldn't cope any longer.  I got through to the GP's surgery easily enough and, after explaining my concerns to the receptionist, was told to come to their surgery door, ring the bell and wait.  This I duly did and was given a small plastic container and instructed to provide a sample the next morning and post it through their letterbox.  I noticed on the accompanying letter that some of the symptoms had not been written down so I added them myself and popped the sample through the letterbox as instructed at 8.30am.  I waited and waited (in excruciating discomfort and extreme irritability...ask G!) then gave up and phoned for the result just before noon.  No...it hadn't been examined by the nurse yet.  I rang at 2pm.....not yet....but they will ring to discuss the result.  By 4.30pm I was afraid that the pharmacy would be closed and I would be suffering/ worrying for yet another day.  I rang again and was told that blah...blah...blah...(didn't understand a word) protein in my sample and tablets were at the pharmacy.  I made a quick dash to the village to get them.  It was really weird driving even that short distance.  I felt really guilty and kept expecting someone to stop me and ask why I was even out of the house.   Anyway, the pharmacist was really kind and explained that the tablets were antibiotics, just 3 days supply.  I assume I had cystitis and I know that GP's are so very busy at the moment but it would have been comforting to have someone explain what was wrong with me.  The tablets appear to have worked although they did upset my tummy a bit and I was dashing to the loo for another reason :/

 Anyway, does anyone have any tips to help prevent cystitis please?  I put it down to forgetting to drink during these weird days.

Gratitudes

For antibiotics when needed

For the recycling being collected again this morning (even though I had to chase my green bag down the deserted street before it disappeared entirely from sight...lol...)

For the refuse collectors who I can hear bashing their way down the street emptying the bins right now!

Stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

24 comments:

  1. Drinking cranberry juice is supposed to help. My daughter used to suffer from cystitis occasionally so we bought it for her. Hopefully you will be feeling much more comfortable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cherie, I'll try to get some when, and if, I can get another online shop. I do feel a lot better now thanks.

      Delete
  2. My mum used to get cystitis often I remember....and when older she regularly had UTIs. She used to drink lots of lemon barley water to help relieve it....cranberry juice wasn't a 'thing' back then, although it's a very popular remedy now. Glad you got some recompense from M&S - and so you should!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever I feel it coming on, I drink loads of water, which often gets rid of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to get cystitis years ago, antibiotics always got rid of it. Mine stopped 15 years ago when I stopped having erm…..s*e*x. Too much information I know. Yes, drink more as said above.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo..er! I can safely say that s*e*x didn't trigger my bout, Ilona, I only wish I knew what had though. Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  5. I have had three bouts of this and each time have had to take antibiotics to get rid of it. the last time I had 3 sessions each of a longer duration before it finally went. I now dread that feeling in case its coming back again. I tried all the usual things but nothing got rid of it, only the anti's.
    I think its a thing with older women, not sure how old you are but I know that many of my friends have suffered as they have got older.
    Probably another one of those niggles of getting older but so annoying.
    Make sure its completely gone by doing a dip stick as otherwise it will return.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Briony, I'm 70 so perhaps you are right about it being due, in part at least, to my age. How do I get the dip stick? Can you buy them? x

      Delete
  6. I have scarring on my kidney because of recurrent cystitis.
    You need to drink plenty, more when the weather is warm. Avoid anything tight around your nether regions and wear cotton underwear. Don't hang on if you need the loo. Go as soon as possible. Avoid bubble bath, scented soap/ shower gel( I use Simple shower gel as anything else can set it off). If you drink cranberry juice to soothe things make sure it's low sugar, as the sugar in it can make things worse.You can buy cranberry tablets to take every day as a precaution. When you have cystitis, avoid caffeine as that makes it worse. I keep some over the counter powders in that provide some relief if I can't get to the doctor quickly enough ( I've had to go to the walk in centre on the last 2 occasions as it's been a Sunday and I went from feeling perfectly okay to peeing what looked like a glass of port within half an hour). If you can't get hold of the powders, you can use bicarbonate of soda in water ( I can't remember the ratio but you'll be able to find it online).
    Keep an eye out for the symptoms returning. 3 days of antibiotics aren't always long enough, and they're not always the right ones. I've had to have more than 1 type to cure a bout of it.If the symptoms return, don't wait to see your GP. Ring straight away, and be insistent. They don't always want to listen, and then it can track to your kidneys, and end up with scarring... that's what happened to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Scarlet that is scary. It sounds like you've had more than your fair share of it. Thanks so much for the tips. I'm certainly going to try to get some remedies to keep in the first aid box as well as try the cranberry option. Stay well x

      Delete
  7. Most supermarkets stock a cystitis medication. It's a drink you make up and it's not overly expensive. I keep a box of 6 sachets in my larder. The minute I feel that sensation I take one followed by a couple of pints of water. It stops it in its tracks. I've been clear for 5 years now thank heavens. Drink plenty mine comes on if I'm dehydrated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tania. I'm going to try to get some of those sachets asap.

      Delete
  8. I agree with Scarlet and Tania. Your urine, normally, should be the colour of pale straw. If it's any darker it means you are not drinking enough, which is a big contributing factor in cystitis. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They have also said, you can drink other fruit juice. It doesn't have to be cranberry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often have orange juice in the fridge but I wasn't sure if acidic drinks made it worse. Perhaps not....

      Delete
  10. I suffer from recurrent cystitis and the best treatment I have found is Cystocalm which I buy on Ebay.. its Sodium Citrate and drink lots of water. You may still have to have anti-biotics but this relieves the symptoms.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would say it helps me to drink lots of water. Cranberry juice did not work. Really drinking lots of liquids according to my doctor helps wash the bacteria out of your bladder.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie, I am making sure to drink lots of water now xx

      Delete
  12. Fluids are really important but it is also important to try to ensure you empty your bladder completely. Finish, then wait a second, shift position and try again. Also a mild analgesic like paracetamol can be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine that's another helpful tip :)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx