Sunday 5 April 2020

5 A Day...Are You Getting Yours?



Thank you so much for all your comments on my last post regarding the Morrisons food box.  I'm so pleased that I wrote it because some of you hadn't heard of these great boxes and may be able to get one to top up your supplies.  Sooze mentioned the lack of eggs, tea or coffee and I really would have liked a tin of fruit, perhaps instead of one tin of soup, but the value nonetheless was pleasing.  They also do a vegetarian version for the same price.  I'm sure that contents will vary slightly because of lack of availability of stock in some areas, but I would happily order again.

Today's lunch will be a roast lunch using the chicken breasts.  I intend cooking them both at the same time then we will share one for lunch and save the other for sandwiches tomorrow.  We will have roast potatoes, carrots, peas and the last 2 remaining yorkies from the freezer, served with vegetarian onion gravy.   I'm defrosting some frozen summer fruit and will use my last pack of crumble mix to make a pudding: fruit crumble and ice cream :)

Are you finding it hard to get your 5 a day into your meal plans?  I certainly am.  I'm getting a bit fed up with eating carrots, peas and onions. Actually, I might be slowly turning into a carrot, I've never eaten so many ...lol...  I want cabbage! I long for swede! I need fruit!  It's a bit easier when we have orange juice in the fridge but we've run out.  I like a small glass in the morning to freshen up the palate but we have none...sob...seriously …. how are you coping?

Gratitudes

For G being so bored that he's washing my car! It's filthy just from sitting on the drive.

For a lovely video call on WhatsApp to DD and the GC this morning.  They were still in their PJ's at 10am and full of bounce and good spirits.

For another lovely sunny day.  I'll be sitting in the garden after lunch soaking up the vitamin D on my arms.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.  Stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

20 comments:

  1. We're all good here. Been sitting doing crochet this morning and nipping in and out of scrabble, food situation is fine but do miss going out especially in this lovely weather.
    Keep safe
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Briony, I feel we could be about to miss Summer totally this year. The weather is lovely at the moment. Stay safe x

      Delete
  2. In life BC [before covid19] we used to enjoy a cooked breakfast on a Saturday morning. Yesterday we still had one- the two of us sharing one rasher of bacon, 1 sausage, ½ can of beans, 1 mushroom and 2 eggs. Served on smaller plates than usual it didnt look too bad! I'm eking out our carton of orange juice by serving it in shot glasses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This made me smile Angela :) I can imagine the painstaking equal sharing going on in the kitchen. I bet your fry up was lovely! Stay safe x

      Delete
  3. My Morrison's boc came today - I'm really pleased with it....however....husband took it off the delivery driver after being photographed rather than signing for it, carried into the house and accidentally dropped it!! The bag of dried pasta had split open and the tub of pasta sauce in the ice packaged bit had split. All was not lost though as I salvaged most of the pasta and not all the sauce had leaked. I shall definitely order again but carry the box myself next time. Grrrrr!😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mrs LH, I bet hubby wasn't flavour of the month that day! My DPD driver placed the box on the mat, photographed it and only then rang the bell and scarpered! I only had to drag it in, not carry it. Glad you were pleased with it though. Stay safe x

      Delete
  4. So far so good with the veg. Although its a bit more difficult here as we are told to consume 7 to 10 servings a day! I did a fresh food shop last Tuesday and a friend picked up a few additional things for me today - just finished wiping and washing everything before it was put away. I have a good stock of frozen and canned fruit & veg so I rotate through things - using a bit of each every day. Any bits and pieces leftover get added to the soup pot. I don't ordinarily drink fruit juice - prefer fresh - but figured it would help so have three different types on hand. We will just have to do the best we can. I do keep checking every day so that nothing goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are doing well getting your fruit supply. Don't think we would stand any chance of getting 7 or more portions here. Stay safe Margie x

      Delete
  5. We’re doing ok for fruit and veg at the moment, as we’ve managed to get it delivered by a wholesaler who is at the moment doing retail. So far I’ve been really happy with what I’ve ordered. Just wish flour was more available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do so wish we could get fruit and veg delivered here. Flour seems to have totally vanished from the shelves everywhere. Stay safe Ann x

      Delete
  6. I smiled when I read this. I have loads of cabbage and swede and have been looking on you tube for lots of cabbagy recipes. I think I will be turning green if I eat any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha..swap you some carrots and onions Cherie! Stay safe x

      Delete
  7. Hoping to go grocery shopping tomorrow - for the first time in almost 2 weeks. In a mask like a highway robber.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like you I try to get my 5 in...Don't always succeed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard at the moment isn't it Jackie. Stay safe x

      Delete
  9. We are doing OK with eating veggies, possibly not 5 per day. We do have OJ and wish I could send you a carton. Most meals these days are meant to go for 2 days so as not to waste and also not to cook again. We are doing our own grocery shopping and last weekend put in extras so we can stay in for the next 2 weeks as recommended.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I intend to shop every two weeks now too, Beatrice. I never minded food shopping before but hate it now. Everything is being stretched to make as many meals as possible without cooking every single day.
    Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's too bad that you are low on fruits and vegetables. If you lived closer, I could give you some blood oranges and lemons from my backyard orchard. That has been a Godsend. I am fortunate to belong to a co-op. Every two weeks we get a basket of organic produce from the local farmers that lasts me fourteen days. I have some canned fruit in the cupboard, just in case. My apricots will be ripe in a month or so. That tree looks promising. I just ordered a case of buffalo steaks from Nebraska. I have stopped going to the stores. The numbers are just too scary here in California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephenie :) The basket of produce from the co-op sounds a wonderful idea. I have been unable to get any fruit and veg boxes at all. We should get produce from the allotment in weeks to come provided the lock down doesn't intensify and they stop us going. Life is very scary at the moment. Stay safe x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx