Sunday 12 November 2023

G is for Growing and Greenhouse

 From our dainty little cucumbers.....



.....to our scary carrots.....


....to our self seeded poppies.....

......we have enjoyed growing food at the allotment for the last 3 years or so.

 I must admit that it's getting harder though.  Neither of us can bend the way we used to and my back is often dodgy.  In addition, we have to drive to the allotment, only 10 minutes or so but it does cost fuel, plus the £25 annual allotment fee means that it's not cheap.  We are now debating whether or not to spend some savings on a small greenhouse at home.  It can be tucked behind the garage in a sunny spot and will allow us to grow salad crops as well as start off flowers and plants.  It's looking increasingly likely. Watch this space!

See you tomorrow 💓 x

8 comments:

  1. We were the same, getting very creaky and OH is 6 years older than me, so we have invested in a greenhouse and also where we had a shrub and flower border, dug them all out, which took some doing, put weed membrane down, then gravel and put 2 raised beds in. We've got strawberries and rhubarb in one with space for some lettuce, then in the other we grew runner beans, french beans, leeks and had a go at sweetcorn. Its so much easier. Hugs Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds a fantastic set up. You still have lots of veg as well as fruit growing. I think you have cracked the problem of getting older Gill! It's probably the way to go for us now, I think :) Take care Gill xx

      Delete
  2. I adore my greenhouse, I probably don't use it to it's full potential, but I do love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had polytunnels for a few years, but having had them ripped apart or even blown away several times (it's very windy here), we gave up in the end. Raised beds are much easier to manage. That poppy is such a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I now only use the greenhouse and a raised 'Trug' , a wooden p;anter on legs which is excellent for carrots as the soil is quite deep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of raised beds for vegetables. I have someone to do the gardening for me and that works out well, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That purple poppy is gorgeous!

    I find I am enjoying growing things so much more now that the pressure to grow LOTS of edible stuff is gone. I have filled all my little raised beds with onions and garlic for next year, but once I have them harvested in I may just put the larger of the two beds over to shrubs and plants that need absolutely no looking after.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx