Tuesday 7 November 2023

B is for Bonfire and Birthday

 

On Saturday night Himley Hall had their annual bonfire event.   Despite living quite close by for many years, I had never been to it in the past.   This year, when my daughter asked if I fancied going I said yes.  The grandchildren and their respective boyfriend and girlfriend wanted to go too, so there were 7 of us in 2 cars.  My OAP ticket cost just £7 but other tickets cost £12 upwards with £10 for each pre-booked car parking space.  The car parks turned out to be fields 😳 and after days upon days of heavy rain, the visitors were immediately sinking their vehicles into ankle deep mud.  We were lucky to spot 2 adjacent spaces under the trees on a narrow verge so grabbed them pretty quick.

The music and fireworks were great but the bonfire was so wet it barely took off when lit. We arrived pretty early, just after 5pm, and the fireworks weren't lit until 8.30pm by which time we were all pretty knackered, very wet and cold and ankle deep in mud.  But, hey, I was never allowed to go to a music festival in my youth so this was a new experience for me 🤣  We took spare shoes to change into for the journey home and left around 9pm (once the men in our group had pushed several vehicles out of the mud as their good deed for the day)  Luckily, our foresight to park on the verge paid off and both our cars got away easily. 

That will be the only time I'll be going though.....I enjoyed it, but once is definitely enough!

Birthday: it was my 74th birthday on 1st November so I think I'll stop counting now 🙄......

Back tomorrow ❤ x


13 comments:

  1. Well done you ! Our village fireworks were cancelled - I admire the foresight in taking alternative shoes. But waiting 3½ hours for the fireworks is a long time!! Happy belated birthday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was an awfully long time to wait but we kept walking to stay warm. The drizzle was frustrating though!
      Thank you for my birthday wishes :)

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy Birthday from me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that little adventure can now be crossed off the list of things to do. It was still nice to go along with family to the event. I am so glad to see you back again. You have been missed x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, Beverley, I intend catching up with you and D soon xx

      Delete
  4. Sorry. Meant to add Happy happy Birthday xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in Penkridge and our local Scouts bonfire was a washout as the rain poured down, I felt so sorry for them after all the planning they do. Belated Happy Birthday Wishes. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain did ruin many a bonfire, I think. What a shame for the Scouts.
      Thank you for my birthday wishes Gill xx

      Delete
  6. I am glad that you got a nice outing, even though the rain didn't let the bonfire take off. Happy Birthday.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jackie. The bonfire celebration was certainly a novel experience!

      Delete
  7. Happy belated birthday!
    Bonfire night might have been wet and muddy, but, you got to experience it with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx