Thursday 9 November 2023

D is for Driving in the Dark and Determination

 



I have found that I can no longer drive comfortably in the dark, especially when there is no street lighting and some idiot is tailgating, and all I can see is his/her headlights in my rear view mirror. So I have stopped doing it. I'm sure that my developing cataracts haven't helped.  This now curtails what I can do because I used to drive to our daughter's during daylight and drive back in the dark.  Now it's dark by 4.30pm and I dare not risk it so it is quite exciting that we have joined the Gardeners Guild in a nearby village 😀  They meet once a month at 7.30pm and hubby drives, so I don't have to worry.  When we went out last Tuesday night it was quite exciting to see all the lights on the dashboard in our car for the first time. We only bought it 7 months ago! It just shows how often we go out 😂🤣😂

Determination comes into it here because I don't want to sit at home and wait for the inevitable deterioration of old age.  We are both determined to get out more even if just for a walk.

Do you have to make an effort to do things?  Is it easier to do nothing?

See you tomorrow 💓x




11 comments:

  1. I always have to gear myself up for going out evenings in late Autumn and winter - never have a problem when it's light.
    Think it would be easy to become a recluse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't drive in the dark now, it's too risky. But we too have a garden society which meets in the village!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only joined our guild in the summer and really enjoy it. It's good to talk to new people :)

      Delete
  3. Well, I know what you mean. It seems to be harder to coordinate everything on my bike rides. I have the dog, the poop bags, gloves, a mask, and a chain that seems to fall off every five minutes. I think you are wise not to drive in the dark. I am headed to a late afternoon movie in an hour. It will be dark when I drive home, but it's only five minutes from the cottage. I have to space out my journeys at this age. It takes more gumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you do it, Stephenie, I struggle with just my shoulder bag, gloves and umbrella! I hope you enjoyed the film :)

      Delete
  4. Like you I really do not like driving at night, Harvey does not enjoy it either. I don't even like driving in the city at night. Too many lights and too many crazy drivers.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never had brilliant night driving vision, the glares of other cars lights really makes it difficult for me, but I do find if I persevere and go out for a few nights on the trot things do get better as my eyes adapt. Unfortunately, I have nothing to go out in the evening for at the moment, so this year I have practised what I've just preached!!

    Thanks for your comment on my final post. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't feel safe on the road at night now Sue 😕
      Regarding your last post, I will miss you very much but understand how you feel. I have a feeling that these alphabet posts of mine might be the end of my blog too. I've run out of steam in the face of a deteriorating world. Stay well, my lovely x

      Delete
  6. I stopped driving at night a few years ago as my night vision is not that great. I'm fine with driving during the daytime, however, I hardly go out these days. I'm definitely a homebody!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx