Friday 2 September 2022

Cholesterol Confusion and Maths Testing

 Thank you for all the soup suggestions on my last post. It's certainly given me some ideas to try 😊

Regarding my cholesterol levels: my total is 6.2 which sounds frighteningly high. The nurse weighed me (under 10st so not overweight), my BMI is 23 (within the normal range) heart age 73 (I will be 73 on November 1st) , blood pressure is low and my diet is basically ok. I drink very little alcohol and have never smoked. She concluded that I'm only at moderate risk for heart attacks and strokes 😳 She also explained that everyone is different and due to my lower risk anyway she wasn't recommending statins at this point.

All my other tests; thyroid, diabetes, liver, kidneys, B12 and iron levels, full blood count etc were fine. Why I feel so awful on some days is a mystery both to me and the medical profession 🤔🙄 

I AM AN ENIGMA 😱😂

Old age is a definite factor so I am redoubling my efforts to reduce fat in my diet still further (without making my life a misery) and pushing myself to walk a bit more each day.  Que sera sera as Doris Day sang! 

A few years ago I completed the Numeracy Challenge online and enjoyed it so, when the invitation email came through, I did it again. 





I scored 89% so my brain, at least, is functioning! I even beat my last score slightly. Power to the Pensioners!!

Stay safe everyone and thank you for popping in x

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are in general good health, overall, and the higher cholesterol count isn't something to be worried about. I am unfamiliar with the rating of 6.2 - cholesterol levels here are given as milligrams per deciliter of blood and a count of less than 200 mg/dL for total cholesterol is considered good (lower the better, of course).

    Well done on the numeracy challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I was relieved that my brain power hasn't deteriorated!
      I really don't know why they rate cholesterol in that way either. Your way sounds easier to understand as we need to know 'good' from 'bad' cholesterol don't we. Mystifying....

      Delete
  2. My husband had a check up and came back with high reading. So we have hit the saturated fats on the head. No red tabs (on the ingredients information) and lots of fish and veg! His levels might not improve but I lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, Trish, well done you! I'm trying to increase exercise now as well as not eating saturated fat. Time will tell...

      Delete
  3. It sounds as though you are pretty healthy, so I would just keep on doing what you are doing if I were you. Cholesterol is the body's building blocks and is a very necessary thing to have, so good on your nurse for not making you take statins to reduce it. Well done on the brain power too, I would fail miserably at that test today I feel like I'm in a complete mental fog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll just plod on Sue!
      We all have sluggish days don't we, I'm sure you're a bloomin' whizz at accounts ; ) Hope you feel less 'foggy' today x

      Delete
  4. Well done on the maths Angie.
    I'm glad that you don't have to take statins for the cholestrol. You seem to have a pretty healthy lifestyle anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beverley :) the test was fun to do and only takes around 15 minutes so not too taxing!
      I'm glad I don't have to take statins, more exercise is the key I think.

      Delete
  5. If you want to understand cholesterol and why statins are a crock, check out Sten Ekberg videos on Youtube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rita, I'll definitely take a look at that.

      Delete
  6. I don't even know my numbers. I get so much exercise that I hope that does the trick. Have you tried reducing carbs? I know I do better with far less baked goods than I used to eat. (including bread, which I love.) Hope you sort it out, but I wouldn't worry. I think there is too much emphasis on numbers these days. You know your body.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx