Wednesday 31 August 2022

Further Thoughts & High Cholesterol

 Firstly a big thank you to all who left comments on my last post along with tips and some great ideas for staying warm this Winter.  A warm welcome too to Suzanne ðŸ˜Š

Since then I have been mulling over how not to spend actual money on food shopping as well as spending a little as possible when I do.  I have postponed our online food shop this week until Thursday 4th September and am stretching what we have in already.  And I will be looking for more YS bargains.  I have redoubled my efforts at snapping up online survey opportunities with trusted companies and have earned a £10 voucher with M & S once again which will buy food for this weekend.  G has this weekend off so he won't need sandwiches with cooked ham to take to work ( his favourite choice of filling).  I have longlife milk stored in the garage and the bread maker is kneading away right now for a fresh loaf this afternoon.

If you remember, I bought this YS lettuce on 28th and next day I refreshed it by running cold water over it in a colander,  patted it dry.....

                                               

....and served it with eggs for lunch.  The eggs were 79p for 6 (with the Sainsburys App), the tomatoes, cucumber and onion were all home grown at the allotment.  I picked out bits of sliced red cabbage & carrot from the remainder of the bag of stir fry veg and added them so lunch cost 58p for 2 ie 29p per portion plus a slice of  bread each..........

I think this sort of meal will be the norm for the foreseeable future with soups added during the colder months.  The slow cooker will definitely come into it's own too.  After all tomorrow, September 1st, is officially the first day of meteorological Autumn 👀  I think I need to find some more soup recipes.  My repertoire is very limited, mainly potato & leek or country veg! I'm always a bit scared of adding garlic granules or curry powder to soup even though I have a little jar of each.  

Do you have a favourite easy recipe with minimal ingredients that you would be happy to share please?

This afternoon I have an appointment with the nurse at the GP surgery to discuss my blood test results.  It seems I have a high cholesterol count despite cutting down drastically on my cheese consumption 😕

I honestly don't know what I can cut out.  I don't smoke, drink a minimal amount of wine (maybe 2 small glasses a week, rarely drink coffee & have just one mug of tea in a morning. I eat fish, Quorn and eggs for protein, drink skimmed milk, eat lots of fruit and veg from the allotment etc, etc  I honestly don't understand the figures quoted to me so hope she can explain it all!

That's all for now,

Stay safe x

13 comments:

  1. Many years ago I was diagnosed with high cholesterol. Dr. wanted to put me on meds and I said no, would control it with diet. So 6 wks later after no fat, no carbs, no anything bad, no cheating, a second test showed absolutely no improvement. Dr said some people's body just creates it as a normal thing, and nothing but meds could make it better. Not wanting to live on such a restrictive diet for the rest of my life, I said I would take the pills. I am 81 years old, my count is well under the limit, and I take thye pills and eat what I want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response, Ana, the nurse said very much the same thing about it being normal at my age, but didn't recommend statins...yet !

      Delete
  2. My favourite home made soup is - Grated carrot, finely chopped onion both sweated +flour to thicken then a tin of chopped tomatoes, some stock and tomato puree plus pepper.
    I've managed to avoid the dreaded statins by telling the doctor they don't mix with the anti-depressants! and then not going back to the doctors for years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the soup tip, Sue, it sounds great. Well done on avoiding statins!

      Delete
  3. I make lots of carrot and potato soup with a bit of tarragon thrown in. Mushroom soup is easy too. Best thing to have when making soup is a blender (hand held), then it can be as thick or thin as you want. But really anything will go into a soup, leek and bacn and potato, or any vegetables that need using up ,with a spoonful of tamoto puree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the soup tips, Elizabeth, I do have a tube of tomato puree :)

      Delete
  4. Our favourite soups are red lentil and tomato, high in protein and filling too and shopping day soup, practically anything left in the veg drawer ,add a little pasta making it more filling. I find I don't need to saute with oil, I often just use water and it works fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the soup tips, Chrissie, I like the idea of shopping day soup. There's always a few bits left at the end of the week in the fridge drawer isn't there.

      Delete
  5. I have high cholesterol since I was 19, for years I controlled it with diet and exercise, it worked well. BUT now I'm older diet and exercise is not enough, so statins are taken daily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm resisting statins at the moment because of possible side effects but the nurse didn't recommend them yet anyway.

      Delete
  6. Hi, No statins here I drink a cholesterol reducing drink, from Aldi-cheaper, do a 2 ml walk most days, have overnight oats for breakfast 3 times a week and I have soya milk instead of dairy. I eat anything else I want Last reading was 2.16 Nurse was gobsmacked and then said see you 12 months. I am 73 yrs old

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crikey, Vonnie, you have this absolutely nailed! I'm going to try the Aldi drinks if I can find them on my next visit and fully intend to increase my exercise. Thanks so much for the tips. You are one amazing person!

      Delete
  7. I see that others have given you some good ideas for soup. I usually make soup with whatever bones I've saved from roast chicken, etc., and whatever vegetables I have on hand. :)
    I hope your meeting with the nurse will help clarify some of the questions you have about your cholesterol numbers. It is something our bodies make, anyway, but, diet and exercise are good ways to keep it under control. :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx