Saturday 25 June 2022

A Good Crop & A Plan

 I didn't really feel comfortable writing any foodie posts over the last week as Sue Hall has been doing the sponsored ration challenge for refugees and I wanted to absorb her blog posts and cheer her on from the sidelines.  I know I couldn't do it. She has done amazingly well and raised an impressive amount of money. Well done Sue! 

The allotment is coming on in leaps and bounds. We have been digging up one potato plant at a time as needed but on Thursday decided to empty one of the tubs. All these came from 5 Swift seed potatoes so we're really pleased with them.  We split them 3 ways: our daughter, my brother and ourselves. They should last quite a while as we don't eat enormous amounts of potatoes. Two of the bigger ones baked beautifully and they make good mash as well as lightly buttered and steamed. We also cut 3 cabbages to share and I picked quite a lot of broadbeans too...


The last few stems of rhubarb have now been microwaved and frozen so that we can now give the plant a rest. It might need dividing this year as it's several years old. 

Also harvesting:
Lettuces, radishes, spring onions and strawberries. 

I really didn't know what I fancied to eat at lunchtime today. I didn't sleep well last night so felt jaded this morning. I had to pop to Sainsburys for some bread for G's work sandwiches tomorrow and spotted a small, very basic pizza at 49p.  I couldn't be bothered to put the breadmaker on for dough, it would have taken too long anyway so  I bought the pizza.  With a bit of sliced onion, sliced tomatoes and extra cheese on top 10 minutes in the oven made a delicious quick lunch served with salad..... 


With a new month fast approaching I want to work out how much of our £50/55 weekly food budget is actually spent on food, and how much is eaten up by non-food items like washing up liquid, washing powder, softener, cleaning products etc  July will be a good time to test this because our stockpile of such items is running low so we will need to buy them.  The next food delivery will be on Wednesday so will be counted as week 1 (it's close enough to the 1st July 😉) We still have to stay within budget of course, that goes without saying really....

Thanks for popping in and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x 

12 comments:

  1. The past couple of months I have been winnowing out the non food items and just posting grocery items in grocery and adding the non-food to other budget lines. A bit of work but I am getting a better read on what I really spend.

    What a great potato harvest.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, Jackie, it will give us a better representation of what our food is actually costing. We seem to be spending more on non food items than we used to.

      Delete
  2. Sue has been amazing! I think her achievement has challenged many of us to be more mindful about our food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is amazing, isn't she Angela. And I agree that we are more mindful of what we buy, eat and throw away than ever before.
      Have a wonderful Sunday.

      Delete
  3. I am just digging the first potato bag, and lovely new potatoes are part of our lunch. I agree with you re the non food items, they seem to be rocketing in price. Jackie's idea is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh aren't freshly dug potatoes lovely! Enjoy your lunch 😊

      Delete
  4. Yum, that looks so delicious. You just inspired me to make some pizza dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love pizza but have to think ahead if I want to make it from scratch.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful potato harvest! I've been planting regular supermarket potatoes that had sprouted and have been harvested a very few tiny potatoes. Maybe I should look into getting some seed potatoes!

    I like what you did with the basic pizza, adding more toppings to it and making it over for your lunch.

    My grocery budget includes only food and beverages. It doesn't include pet food and supplies (I have a separate budget for that) or household items such as detergent, cleaning supplies, paper towels, etc. (there is a household supplies budget for that) or toiletries such as soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. (yes, you guessed it - I have a separate budget for it). I like having different line item budgets for the different things because that enables me to know just how much I am spending on what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you are so well organised Bless! It makes sense to record such items separately, doesn't it. Our usual £50/55 budget includes cleaning products, toiletries, washing powder etc so I can't see exactly how much we are spending on food alone. It needs to change!
      Regarding potatoes: a small net of seed potatoes wasn't very expensive at all.... maybe £4....and we have grown 2 big tubs full (5 seed potatoes in each) as well as a whole row of maybe 10/12 feet long, in the ground at the allotment. We have been eating them for a few weeks now and still have one of the big tubs untouched as well as 2 plants in the ground. It has been very cost effective and the taste can't be beaten ;)

      Delete
  6. That is a fantastic potato harvest. Great idea with the pizza too. It looks delicious with the additional salad and topping :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx