Monday 13 June 2022

A Frugal Year on a Tight Budget Continues...

At the start of the year we decided that 2022 would be a 'frugal year on a tight budget' as we needed to replace some of the savings we had to spend in order to move to our bungalow.  Since then the savings have been added to in dribs and drabs as the opportunity arose but who could have forseen the crisis we are all  now facing with the soaring cost of living.  The rising cost of fuel, energy and food is straining everyone's budget to bursting point.  I deliberately haven't placed an online food order this week so will be using loyalty points and vouchers for food with the aim of putting as much of the usual £50/ £55 spend into the savings.  I've made an inventory of stuff in the fridge and freezer which needs using up so that we don't waste a thing.

Stage 1 shopping:

Yesterday I did the first shop using Nectar points. I bought enough cereal and porridge to last at least a week of breakfasts, 4 x frozen cod fish portions, the quorn escalopes which we like and some sweet treats....



As luck would have it, it came to exactly £20 👍so, in reality, totally free to us.....


G has a few Nectar points too, around £7.50 worth I think, so we can use those towards the end of the week for some fresh stuff and bread.  I'll report on that when it happens.

Luckily the allotment is starting to produce food now.  We have been harvesting baby new potatoes, spring onions, radishes, lettuce, strawberries and the first crop of baby broad beans 😎  They will all help to stretch the budget of course.

Main Meal Plan

Monday:  Quorn escalopes, wedges, baked beans

Tuesday:  Cod tray bake

Wednesday: Cheese and spring onion omelettes with salad

Thursday : Cod, chips and peas

Friday to Sunday:  NO IDEA YET!

Breakfast will be cereal with tinned fruit and a dollop of thick yogurt, or toast

Lunches will be sandwiches, or stir fry (to use any leftover veg), or cheese on toast


Stage 2 shopping later on in the week!

We have had to spend a bit of money to buy bits and pieces for the new garden but everything is done as economically as possible.  Luckily, G gets a discount from work for plants, compost, and the like so the garden is slowly filling out.  I'll share photos soon.

Thanks for popping in everyone.  Stay safe x


Food 'bought' with loyalty points/vouchers:

12/06/22  £20.00

Cash spent:

£0.00

12 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doesn't it feel good when you don't have to hand over ANY cash at all, and I love it even when I'm paying, when it's such a rounded off figure ... I'm funny like that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed, Sue, and I know what you mean about rounded figures. I was inordinately pleased to get an exact £20 😂

      Delete
  3. Your garden allotment haul sounds delightful. Fresh foods are so fulfilling, especially when you grow them yourself! 🦋

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandi, I do love it when I can start harvesting from our allotment. It's so satisfying especially when things are slug free! 😁😂

      Delete
  4. You are very wise with your shopping. I just stocked up on some items on sale at the grocery store, too. An older woman near my cottage gives me very generous deals on her fruits and vegetables. I buy as much as I can from her and grow the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How lovely to be able to buy fresh fruit & veg from someone local. You can't get fresher than that and with your own oranges to pick too you can't go wrong :)

      Delete
  5. Well done on shopping with your points and not a penny over! I have been watching some online videos on YouTube of episodes of a UK TV program called "Eat Well for Less" and am loving it! Of course, I have no idea how the prices compare as the episodes I'm watching were first aired some time ago, but, they have some good ideas, I think. I'm glad you are now able to harvest from fresh produce from your allotment. That will help keep the costs down, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watch that program too, Bless, as they have some very useful tips to share. I do get irritated with some of the families though. How can they not realise how much money they are actually spending!

      Delete
    2. I guess it's not that uncommon. I've a friend who shops without a budget (and then, complains that the prices are too high).

      Delete
    3. Gosh, I need a list and a total spend in mind before I begin!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx