Saturday 18 December 2021

Too Close for Comfort & A Singing Neep

 Just a week to go before the big day and, just when I thought things might go according to plan, I heard this morning that our Granddaughter's close friend has tested positive for the Omicron variant of Covid.  GD has had one jab but couldn't have her second because she had a heavy cold at the time and the girls dance together at school 😏 GD has been told that she doesn't need to isolate which seems daft, so she's staying in anyway and will be doing lateral flow tests every day right up to Christmas.  G, me, and her mum and dad are triple jabbed but can still pick it up by all accounts 😖

Too close for comfort.....

As they can't visit today I've been making soup for the freezer.  I emptied the bottom drawer of the fridge of bits of carrot, potato, onion etc to use them up.  I also found a swede so did my 'singing neep' trick of microwaving it whole and then scooping out the middle with a spoon....



I've divided it up into two plastic boxes, one of which can go in the freezer for a quick addition to another meal later on, and the other will be reheated and eaten tomorrow. It only takes about 20 minutes to cook it and saves the pain of trying to chop it up by hand.

It's now 4pm and DARK!  The days seem to disappear in a puff of smoke lately.  As the church concert has been cancelled tonight I have no idea what we can fill our long evening with.  There's not much of  interest on TV for us.  I've seen all the films on offer; Desperately Seeking Susan, The Full Monty and Kinky Boots so we might have to try The Equalizer 2 starring Denzel Washington which is on at 9pm.  Has anyone seen it?

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x


12 comments:

  1. It gets dark so very early now in the run up to the longest night.

    I never knew you could roast whole turnips in the microwave. What a time saver.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to do, no piercing of the skin required either.

      Delete
  2. Crazy that GD's been told she doesn't have to isolate! I didn't know you could microwave swede whole either, thanks for that. As for the Equalizer 2 with Denzel Washington....yes, we've seen it, pretty violent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy Sooze, just bung it in and turn it over a couple of times until cooked. We changed our minds about The Equalizer in the end :(

      Delete
  3. I shall buy fresh veg next week - but today, all the odd bits and pieces in the fridge have gone into a sausage casserole in the slow cooker. That will feed us for two or three days. Next weekend, I hope that my family are here for festive feasting. Hope your family stay well too ❤️🙂

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I didn't know that about microwaving swedes whole.I shall definitely try that - beats all that peeling and chopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dead easy too. Just bung it in and turn it over a couple of times until cooked :)

      Delete
  5. What a clever idea with the swede,thank you for the tip.
    Hoping you all continue to stay well and test negative and are able to have Christmas together x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Beverley. Have a wonderful Christmas too x

      Delete
  6. That’s a great tip with the swede I must try that, I wonder if you could do it with other things like butternut squash if you pierced the skin as I find them difficult to peel. Heather

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried it with butternut squash, Heather, mainly because you need to scoop out the seeds in the middle of that, whereas you can eat all of the swede.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx