Sunday 23 October 2022

Christmas Comes Early, A Conflict & Avian Flu

Just in case anyone in the UK doesn't know yet... Sainsbury's are releasing Christmas delivery slots from tomorrow onwards.  I can hardly believe it's so early on, but I'll be booking mine if I can, to help with delivery of the heavy stuff and kitchen staples if nothing else.  I'll just fill a basket and check out then adjust it closer to the time.  Hope it helps .....



On Monday we spent much of the day trimming back our poor apple tree in order to comply with the rules of the allotment.  It used to be a recommendation that trees must be below 3 mtrs high but some bright spark on the committee has decided it must be mandatory and, as we inherited the tree (which was over 3 mtrs to begin with) and which has been pruned each year we've been there, it's particularly galling.  It will need another light haircut later on once the leaves have dropped and we can see what we are actually doing to it 😕



The compost heap will need a little help to break all this dry stuff down....


Afterwards we both ached like billy-o but went to the annual allotment meeting on Tuesday evening anyway.  There, one old chap, a right job's worth, drew us into a 'discussion' he was having with another couple who had received a warning that they had too many weeds on their plot.  He was laying down the law in no uncertain terms and commented that G & I  have too many bark chippings on our paths between raised beds and are 'ruining the soil'.  Once again, I couldn't keep my mouth shut and told him politely that he could have weeds as well on our plot if he wanted but the bark is laid on membrane to suppress them and WE ARE NOT RUINING THE SOIL!  Even if the bark was laid directly on the soil, it would take up Nitrogen and then release it back to the soil as it breaks down.  G said nothing 😟

A buffet of sandwiches had been laid on but I was so incensed on G's behalf, because he is so inoffensive and has worked hard on the plot despite being in constant pain with his neck and back, that I walked out at the end of the meeting.  I hate confrontation and my digestive system does too so I didn't sleep well on Tuesday night. The allotment has been our refuge during the last 3 years of Covid (and a horrible neighbour) and I refuse to let anyone spoil it 😡 

Changing the subject, thank you for all your comments on my last 2 posts, I really do appreciate your input.  I'm sure there was a comment on my last post from Sue Hall but it's disappeared 👀  I have no idea what happened to it.  Did I delete it in error? Not sure....so sorry Sue.  I did read it on my phone before it disappeared into the ether!

Avian flu has been found in our local area.  This is potentially devastating as we have a high number of ponds and wildlife preservation sites around here.  G and I were only recently commenting that we have seen no small birds in our garden, despite cleaning and re-stocking the bird feeders.  It's very worrying. Could this be why we have an egg shortage, I wonder?

PS: I had my Covid booster yesterday afternoon.  I went to bed with a slight headache last night but, apart from a sore arm this morning, I feel ok 👍

Have a lovely day everyone. Stay safe x

11 comments:

  1. Christmas delivery slots already! Blimey, I can't think that far ahead. Although I guess it's actually a good idea to book a slot and order at least some stuff now that we more or less always get with our normal shop - I don't really want to be battling the crowds in the shops the week before Christmas. As for that jobsworth - there's always one who knows (or thinks he does) better than anyone else. I know someone like that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are doing well with your Covid booster. After 3 days I was totally back to normal no more arm pain.

    How rude of that gentleman at the meeting, weeds are definitely hard to get rid of. I weed every week in my flower beds and just can't keep up.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's always someone who tries to tell everyone else how to do things, isn't there?
    Glad to hear that you received your booster jab and are feeling only some mild side effects. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So that was what happened to my comment ... I just disappeared!! I wouldn't worry too much about it, Blogger is behaving very strangely just recently, I am losing the will to live having to retrieve so many comments from the Spam folder every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was a very bossy and rude person at the meeting. I'm glad you stuck up for yourself and G. You have both worked so hard and don't deserve that kind of nonsense.
    Glad you have been ok with your booster. |I have my flu and booster jabs coming up soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beverley, and good luck with your boosters!

      Delete
  6. I think people have become more argumentative since Covid. Conflict can be upsetting. I'm glad you stood up for yourself. What a shame to have such a difficult neighbor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with you, Stephenie, that people have changed during the pandemic and not always in a good way :0/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's like everything is a debate. I'm sure your bark in beautiful. I am buying some more for my garden in the mountains. It looks so pretty, and the roses love it.

      Delete
  8. Thank you very much for the information about Sainsbury's Christmas slots. I rely on weekly deliveries so it's good to ensure a pre-Christmas booking slot; My 'part' order already comes to £36 so I hope I won't need much else for Christmas! I recall when the £40 minimum order was a pain as I live alone and had to stock up on coffee, teabags and similar high-priced items even though I could ill afford them each week. Now my order value hovers around the £55 to £60 mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you have secured a home delivery slot for Christmas, Rambler, as I know how much it helps me to have the bulk of my shopping delivered. You are so right about the increases in price though. We seem to get less and less for the £40 minimum required for delivery don't we. I'm saving my Nectar points for my last minute shop as the family will be here for Boxing day, all being well. Are you saving yours?

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx