Saturday 18 March 2023

Can You Eat On 50p For One Day?

That was a question set on Facebook and Sue, from A Smaller and Simpler life, gave it a go.  I needed to visit Sainsbury's today anyway so wracked my brains to see if I could actually do it.

I started with some baked beans for protein and filling power but the big tin cost 45p therefore out of the question. This small 200g tin cost 21p and offered 168 calories as well as 1 portion of my 5 a day.....




Next came a potato also for filling power.   Loose baking potatoes cost 70p per kilo. At my calculation this one cost 14p




My banana was the smallest I could find at 12p.

I actually spent 47p and had there been any loose carrots, I would have tried to find even a bit of carrot for 3p to nibble on. But there were only 500g packs.



With such a small amount of food I know I would be hungry.  I would skip breakfast, eat the microwaved jacket potato with the beans piled on top for lunch and eat the banana mid afternoon.

What a desperate situation to be in with not even a hot drink to fill up on.

I priced up other options.  The cheapest flour to make flatbread in a frying pan.....


The cheapest tinned fruit ....


The cheapest jam was 39p but with bread at 39p as well I couldn't have had both....


It's horrible to think that there are people who have to make this kind of decision on a daily basis.  Food Banks do a marvellous job in desperate situations and I have resolved to donate much more on a weekly basis, so something good has come out of this experiment.


Thanks for popping in and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. We who are blessed must be sure to share our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we must, Angela, and the experiment opened my eyes even wider to the challenges so many people are facing.
      Have a wonderful Sunday x

      Delete
  2. We all moan, when we have so much....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we shouldn't should we, Marlene, we are so very lucky.

      Delete
  3. You did well. What a shame there weren't any loose carrots, my little carrot for the challenge came in at 3p, you would have been fine.
    It really makes you think when you join in with something like this doesn't it, and for me brings many sad memories rushing back.

    As usual this week while I'm eating from my own cupboards etc I will be doing my weekly shop, but donating it all to the Foodbank. It's nice not to have to put anything away when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found you Sue, you'd gone into spam again... Don't know why πŸ€”
      Yes, a carrot would have been great. Well done you for donating a large amount to the food bank yet again.

      Delete
  4. We have a wonderful food bank here, with generous donors. I volunteered there a couple of times. I was amazed at the full boxes they received with fresh chicken, and all kinds of other healthy food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so much healthier than the food boxes given out here which are mostly tinned and packet foods, certainly nothing as tasty as fresh chicken or fresh vegetables.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the reminder of how blessed I am to have a home over my head and food on the table. The food experiment is a horrific reminder of what some people have to make decisions about every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Beverley, it's a real wake up call isn't it. I must try harder to donate regularly to the local food bank. The problem has been that I mainly order shopping for delivery so don't go into the store very often and the local Spar is quite expensive :0/
      I have recently discovered, however, that I can add a donation of money to my online order and even a pound will help.

      Delete
  6. I know for a fact I would not be able to survive on that amount money for food.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor me, Jackie. One day is all very well, but to live like that day after day would be horrendous.

      Delete
  7. I was sure that I had commented on this post. But anyway, you did well, and at least you managed to get real food and enough to keep you alive, even if it would be an entirely minimal day if that was all you had to keep you going. It's the going without coffee that would kill me, especially at this time of year when a hot drink is really needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. It's going without my morning cuppa which I would find very hard too. As you say, a hot drink is really necessary when the weather is so cold.

      Delete
  8. Wow, that's not a lot of food for a person for a day, is it? 50p British would be the equivalent of $0.61 US at today's rate of exchange (I checked online).
    I would find it very difficult to manage a full day's meals with $0.61. The smallest can of baked beans (8.3 oz/235 grams) is $1.99. :)
    I might opt for a single ramen noodles packet (or instant cup noodle packet) for $0.50 and I will be able to have it for two meals, especially if I add extra water when making it. Not quite sure what I might be able to buy with the remaining $0.11 - loose carrots are $0.99/lb. and I might be able to buy a small carrot to grate into the soup to add a bit of vegetable. That would give me the most amount of food for the money. Or, I could by a bread roll for $0.33; maybe I could have half a bread roll and some cut up carrots for lunch and have the other half of the roll for dinner. Bananas are $0.65/lb., maybe I could find a small banana for $0.28 and have that with the bread roll, instead. But, the bread rolls are not that big and I don't think it would be enough for a full day's meals. I think our regular grocery prices are higher than yours over there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Bless, your food is definitely more expensive than in the UK and lots of people are still struggling to feed their families here. I feel so very lucky....

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie πŸ’“ xx