Saturday 25 March 2023

(sings) I'm in the Mood for Baking 🎢🎡

Our meal yesterday was lovely....expensive....but lovely to see the family and watch the 2 grandkids wolfing down their steaks and desserts.  We had a lovely catch-up on what's happening in school and sixth form.  They are both studying for their exams; GS his 'O' levels and GD her 'A' levels.  It seems really weird that they will both leave school this year too.  I think DD will really feel it.  Children to adults virtually overnight!

When I popped to Sainsbury's this morning I was wandering aimlessly around wondering how to use up bits and pieces from the fridge as well as 4 eggs with todays 'use by' date on, when I saw this shortcrust pastry in the reduced section.  I settled on quiche....


The pastry case was baked for 20 minutes then filled with gently softened onion....


..... 3 of the eggs (beaten) 200ml milk, salt, pepper and some leftover grated cheese, then popped back into the oven for another 20 minutes......


It should serve 6 portions easily and the bit of leftover pastry has been turned into 2 jam turnovers πŸ˜‹
The one remaining egg will be my lunch for tomorrow.

Whilst the oven was on I baked 2 jacket potatoes and ate one for lunch with lactose free cheese, a bit of (reduced price) bagged salad leaves, cherry tomatoes, a grated bendy carrot and vegan coleslaw.  It was my idea of a perfect lunch and totally delicious πŸ‘



G will have the other potato tonight, re-heated in the microwave with the last few prawns from the freezer.  

The kitchen is warm and smells totally scrumptious.  The patio door is open to let in some fresh air, windows ajar and I'm wearing SHORTS!  Yay!  I love air on my legs instead of being cocooned in jeans or jogging bottoms.  The clocks go forward tonight into BRITISH SUMMER TIME. 

Things are looking up πŸ‘€ πŸ˜€

How is it where you live?

Enjoy your weekend folks and do stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x


16 comments:

  1. Shorts! You would have got chilly here where the wind has been strong and not at all warm today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I think the cold weather is heading back here tomorrow. Shame though, I really enjoyed it. Maybe you'll get the sun instead 🌞

      Delete
  2. That looks and sounds delicious! I feel the same way, I sat out on my porch this afternoon in a sundress. The dogs soaked up some sunshine in the yard, too. The birds were singing in the poplar tree...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a change for you after all the snow! It somehow refreshes the soul to sit in the warm sunshine after Winter, I think. I imagine it was lovely on your porch. Enjoy!

      Delete
  3. Still pretty cold here, though sunny. I am so looking forward to shorts or sundress weather.

    Your quiche looks wonderful and a great way to use up what you had.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you warmer weather, Jackie, it won't be too long in coming x

      Delete
  4. Your family meal sounds lovely, it's good to have a catch up with everyone over a nice meal isn't it. Our next family get together is a 'Gender Reveal' party, the first one of those I have ever gone to, and yet another American import. What will my next great-grandchild be I wonder?
    Today it's beautifully sunny here and through the glass of the French doors lovely and warm, but outside it's very chilly. Although there is enough breeze to dry the last of my washing in the fresh air, it's always good to end Monday with an empty washing basket isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh...Gender Reveal... could there even be twins!!! LOL. Surely you're not old enough for great-grandchildren Sue ! A new baby in the family is always a treat. Congratulations to all concerned :)
      Yes, empty washing basket here too. It was so lovely drying it all in the sunshine.

      Delete
    2. Gosh, I hope not twins, now you're scaring me!!

      Yep, I am a great-nana, my eldest great-grandchild is this future babies big brother and he will be four this year, my great-granddaughter to my other grandson has just had her first birthday. Gulp!!

      Delete
  5. Not quite shorts weather here but I did manage to sit outside for a while. That quiche looks very tasty and it is always good to be able to use up bits in the fridge and freezer. Have a lovely week Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a great job using up all the bits and pieces you needed to use up in a most delicious way! Glad you had some nice, warm weather. I am still feeling cold; won't be wearing shorts until it is at least 90F! (32C).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun definitely makes me feel better, Bless, I hope you get some warmer weather soon.

      Delete
  7. Yes i look forward to shorts, but here the weather not quite like that but nevertheless for here such loveliness today, that i was happy to walk with out toque, scarf and mitts, lovely to feel the air through my hair and on my skin where it could not get all winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to feel fresh air after being cooped up isn't it. Enjoy it!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie πŸ’“ xx