Wednesday 15 March 2023

You Know You Are Getting Old When.....


You know you are getting old when....

Shop assistants and cashiers call you darlin' or sweet'eart
A Big Issue seller calls you 'my lovely'
Aches and pains refuse to go away
People tell you "well, you are at a funny age now"
You suddenly realise that your hearing isn't what it was

 Oh yes....I've had all of those things over the last week or so.  I'm certainly feeling my age suddenly.  I've had eye problems; 3 times in as many months.  I've had a chalazion, a stye and an unexplained swollen upper lid, one after the other.  The GP doesn't want to know so I've put up with it until the problem went away on it's own.  Now I've realised that I'm becoming deaf in my left ear and have Tinnitus too.  It frequently sounds like a bird tweeting in my ear or a loud buzz which seems worse at night when I'm trying to sleep.  Yesterday, I bit the bullet and phoned the hearing centre in the village to ask their advice because (you guessed correctly) the GP doesn't want to know πŸ˜• They immediately offered me a free examination the same day which disclosed that I have excess wax in my left ear.  I have an appointment now for  a week on Friday (24th) to have micro suction treatment to remove it.  It will cost £70 but I'm hoping that it might help both with clearer hearing and Tinnitus.  I'll let you know....

Meanwhile...I'm getting older by the second πŸ˜†

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x



17 comments:

  1. It's very worrying all the things that GPs no longer do. Hope you get sorted with the ears and everything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue, it seems to be one thing after another lately. Lol...

      Delete
  2. I worked in a doctor's office years ago and a woman complained she couldn't hear. The doctor did a flush and out came a cotton ball, she could hear again. I live in the US and haven't had any problems seeing any doctor. What good is your GP if he doesn't help you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very difficult to actually see a GP at all these days, Cheryl, and they have a long list of conditions which they don't treat including eye and ear problems, hayfever, haemorroids etc
      That's an amusing story about the lady with the cotton ball! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, having earwax removed can be miraculous. I had do that a couple of times after flying from the US to Europe. I hope it does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephenie, I'm really hoping it will help. Next Friday is the day I'll find out!

      Delete
  4. I too have tinnitus, plus 25% deafness, and could hear so much better after I had my earwax removed (suction method). Had it done privately as our GP won't do it anymore. Yours is expensive at £70, mine was £45 last year and I thought that was dear! Especially since it only took 5 minutes max. You forgot another sign of ageing.....when you groan every time you get up out of a chair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true!
      Sorry to hear that you have tinnitus too. Isn't it horrible, sooze. There's never a time when the world is silent....
      They do ear wax removal at the village opticians too but they charge £95 per ear!

      Delete
  5. I can put my tick against everyone of those, it is worrying the NHS now send you private for so many things, just as we start to need it, and after paying in all our lives, it's now crumbling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marlene, so much has to be paid for now, just when we have less money in our pockets.

      Delete
  6. Oh gawd yes, we are all getting older by the second. You know you're officially old when you no longer have a right knee and a left knee ... instead you have a good knee and a bad knee, or so my son tells me. He's only 36 so what hope in hell do I have. ;-)

    I hope your ears are sorted out before your eyes start playing up again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, Sue, your son has started early, poor chap : /
      Re my ears: I can't wait for next Friday to come to see if the treatment really does help!

      Delete
    2. Rugby player, footballer and ex-football referee, then pounding the streets on the beat, before finally settling down with a desk job ... he's brought it all on himself.

      Delete
  7. You can google earwax removal treatments that can be done at home. You can buy wax dissolving meds for a lot less than 70 pounds. I have been doing intermittent fasting for three months. No food between 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. The idea is to force your body to eat up the wastes that accumulate in joints, etc. I must say that I have noticed a huge benefit in my joints and have dropped a little weight too. I'm 75 so it's never too late to do good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Rita :) I have perforated eardrums so cannot use the dissolving type drops which you buy from the pharmacy, nor can I have my ears syringed so I've just put up with it for years. Now it's getting me down....

      I don't eat between 6pm and 9am anyway but might need to look at what I actually do eat to try and work out if certain foods affect me adversely. Well done you for making the change !

      Delete
  8. 'the Dr doesn't want to know' what a sad state of affairs when that is heard more and more often. I do hope that seeing someone at the hearing centre brings some relief for you even if it is not to your purse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit late commenting, but, I hope that the ear wax removal will help. I also hope that the procedure won't be painful. My mother had a perforated ear drum and ear wax build up; her doctor removed it but, she found it to be a painful experience.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie πŸ’“ xx