Friday 24 March 2023

I Can Hear You! And a Major Decision Made & Executed


This morning I attended my appointment at the hearing centre in the village for the micro-suction earwax removal.  Boy....am I glad I did. The simple and painless procedure, which normally takes about 5 minutes,  took much longer because the wax was so compacted.  I've never had my ears syringed in my life due to having perforated eardrums in both ears since childhood so there was about 65 years worth! The young chap did a marvellous job.  He explained everything as he went along and had to spray olive oil in my ears several times to soften the debris.  He eventually removed it all including tiny hairs from haircutting which had worked their way inside the canal πŸ‘€  Immediately, I could hear better and now my tinnitis has diminished too to a gentle hum.  £70 well worth spending in my opinion πŸ‘

A Decision Made:

For a while now G has been debating whether or not sell his car.  It's a Volvo, 5 years old, diesel, automatic and we simply don't use it enough for it's own good.  It gets driven a 20 mile round trip on Saturday & Sunday when G drives to work, then sits there on the drive with just a short journey to pop to the shops etc  It needs 4 new tyres this year at a cost of £1000 and a service is over £700.  Diesel is far too expensive too.  After thinking long and hard, G swapped it yesterday for an 8 month old ex-demo VW Polo which will be far cheaper to run.  When my VW Fox eventually bites the dust I'll be able to drive the Polo, which is a similar size, although I will have to learn to drive an automatic vehicle 😏  It was a 'no brainer' in the end to compromise on a smaller vehicle though. It was virtually a straight swap with just a small payment to make up the cost. The insurance has worked out almost £100 cheaper too and the car will only need a service once every 2 years instead of annually.  The small amount of money we had to pay will be recouped in a very short time with the savings we can make. That's another step towards making our lives easier, I think.

A big thank you to everyone who left comments on my last post.  It has made us all count our blessings hasn't it?

We're looking forward to a cheerful family meal at a local pub tonight to celebrate DD's birthday. It will be great to have a catch-up with the 2 grandkids too.  I don't see them so often now that they have exams to worry about.

Reasons to be thankful:

For a beautiful daughter who was born 48 years ago today

For having a clean, warm home and food on the table

For the chance to swap to a lovely, nearly new car

For having the opportunity to have my ear sorted out

Thanks for popping in everyone and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x


9 comments:

  1. My car is 8 years old, but still going well, so we will stick with it for longer, hubby got rid of his a few years ago. Sounds as if you made a great decision enabling you to save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose we could have sold my 13 yr old Fox and saved even more money but I love it and would miss my bit of independence. I've never seen the sense in swapping a car for new every 3 or 4 years either, because the value drops dramatically as soon as you drive a new car away. You're getting value for money with your car too Marlene :)

      Delete
  2. What a brilliant outcome for your ears and your hearing, the world must seem a livelier and noisier place today. :-)

    In extremely good decision about the car. You are saving such a lot of money too. Alan's Audi is an automatic and I have never driven it. I really don't like large Audi's and have never wanted to drive an automatic so I'll stick with my little Fiat 500 and my gears.

    Happy Birthday to your daughter. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, Sue, I can't tell you what a difference to my hearing, it's incredible and my tinnitus is still quieter today!

      I'm really glad G made the decision at last to swap the expensive Volvo for the cheaper Polo. We had to buy an automatic because it's easier for him to handle with his neck problem (less twisting if you don't have to change gear) but I really prefer manual myself too. Our 18yr old granddaughter has bought a cream Fiat 500 and she absolutely loves it.
      Thank you for DD's birthday greetings x

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday to your daughter and have fun with the grandchildren.

    Glad the cleaning worked for you, it always seems to help Harvey when he gets it done.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad the ear wax removal went so well! Sounds like trading the old car for a newer one was the right decision to make! I have only ever driven automatics - I don't even know how to drive a stick shift!
    Happy birthday to your daughter! Enjoy the family meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless, and thank you for DD's birthday greetings x

      Delete
  5. I'm really glad you got your ears sorted and that it has made a big difference. Good that you will be able to save money on car expenses now that you have exchanged it for the Polo.
    Happy belated birthday wishes for your daughter. I hope she enjoyed her special day x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie πŸ’“ xx