Tuesday 26 July 2022

Tomato Taste Test

Our first few (and I mean few 🙄) tomatoes are ripening. There were 3 ready yesterday so we picked them for a taste test..... 

 
They are all Gardeners Delight and although quite juicy they don't taste as nice as the ones we grew last year. The skins are a wee bit tough.  Perhaps the later ones will be better.... 


Our poor cucumber plant survived the heatwave only to collapse when the weather turned cooler. I am gutted as there were quite a few more cucumbers developing.... 


We'll try again next year. 

From the allotment we are picking :

Runner beans, French beans, lettuce, beetroot, carrots, the first few raspberries and potatoes. 
Our lovely allotment neighbour, Eric, has given us 2 punnets of juicy blackberries, and another gentleman handed me 2 decent sized yellow courgettes which I'm not sure what to do with;  Mediterranean roast veg perhaps? Any suggestions gratefully received. 

Despite having given the Bramley apple tree a good pruning, we seem to have lots of good sized apples on there.... 




.... and we are starting to get a lot of windfalls, a bit early in my view, but I saved a couple of unblemished ones and stewed them for dessert last night with custard and a handful of the gifted blackberries.  Tart but definitely delicious 👍 I'm hoping the others will cling on for a few more weeks in order to ripen a bit more.

Thank you for your comments on my last post.  I appreciated all your commiserations, empathy and suggestions.

Stay safe x

8 comments:

  1. We are having a sausage traybake tonight. I shall make up a tray with veggie sausages and a tray with meat ones. I shall use peppers, onions, potatoes and courgettes sliced and possibly mushrooms if I have some in the freezer. You could also add some of your beetroot and carrots. I shall toss all the veg in some oil and had some mixed herbs and garlic powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an excellent suggestion, Devon Mum, thank you. I'll give the tray back a try 👍

      Delete
  2. Our apple tree is dropping a lot of fruit, sadly. I managed to save a couple of apples to stew. Yellow courgettes do well in a raost vegetable dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth, I will try a tray bake with them. 👍

      Delete
  3. We've had our first few Roma Plum tomatoes. I'd not grown them before but they are very nice indeed and I'll grow them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never grown that variety, Cherie, maybe next year, thank you 👍

      Delete
  4. Oh, your poor cucumber vine! I had to remove my cucumber plant, too, because it just withered for the heat. Sounds like you are getting quite a harvest from your allotment and how nice of the others to share their extras with you! Your apple tree looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have found cucumber plants to be very temperature sensitive, Bless, and will try again next year. We were lucky enough to be gifted a big bag of plums today. We feel very fortunate to have a friendly allotment community 😊

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx