Friday 8 January 2021

On Expensive Sticks and Food Budget!


 



I'm glad I made some of you smile with my comment about the expensive sticks 😀  Thank you all for your encouraging comments.  The photo above was taken in September 2020 and shows how our trees looked when we planted them.  That particular corner of the garden is very wet and boggy even after creating drainage by digging a hole and filling it with gravel so I really hope that they will survive until Spring buds them up again.

In an earlier post I explained that I really want to bring our spending on food back down to a reasonable level this year.  Another lockdown has kind of thrown a spanner in the works already.  Having to stay at home again means no YS bargains for the next few weeks at least although I made a good start with my Tuesday food delivery which came to £46.35  It would have been a little more but one of the items had fully open packaging so I refused it and had a refund.  In addition they had NO CABBAGE 👀

The next shop has been delayed until Thursday 14th so I'm ekeing out the food we already have by making soup.  Lunch today was HM vegetable soup with a couple of 'bake at home' crusty rolls.  I have bread in the freezer (as well as flour and yeast for the breadmaker) and longlife milk for when the fresh stuff runs out, so we can manage perfectly well until next Thursday.

We have :

Fish fingers
Eggs x 6
Quorn pieces for curry
Pasta bows
Filled tortelloni
Baked beans
2 x ready meals (one each)
Cheese
Packet cooked ham for G

Potatoes
Carrots
Swede
3 sweet Peppers
Onions
Rice
Frozen oven chips
Frozen chips
Frozen broad beans

Ice cream 😁
12 x mince pies
Tinned fruit
Greek yogurt

Porridge
Cornflakes
Muesli

If I plan carefully, we will be fine.  I really don't want to visit the supermarket.  In our area there are 672 Covid cases per 100,000.  Far too many for comfort.  We should be the 4th group in line for the vaccine and might get it by the middle of Feb.  I'll let you know how we get on.

Welcome to my new follower!  I'm so sorry but I can't tell who you are.  I do hope I haven't bored you rigid already with this diary post!

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x



2021 Food Spend to date:

January  £46.35 




3 comments:

  1. We are not going out, will try and sit this lockdown out, locally the numbers are horrendous and I don't want to risk it. We can get home slots, but they are pushing up the cost of shopping. I have also noticed some fresh items out of stock, probably because of brexit, what we can't get we will do without. Your trees as they get bigger will help your wet spot in the garden, trees suck up water from the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen any yellow sticker produce since before lockdown last March, I miss not getting the odd bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I go out, grab my groceries and get out as soon as possible. I am really trying to limit my shopping to one store once a week, and three stores once a month (pharmacy to pick up our meds is one of those three).

    Not really doing too badly in my little corner right now, but one never knows when the cases will spike.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx