Monday 7 December 2020

Christmas Preparations Underway!


 
We received our first Christmas card  on Saturday and, for once, I agree with the sentiment.  I wouldn't mind a little snow now and again to brighten up the soggy, muddy streets a bit 🎅  I wrote all our Christmas cards over the weekend and posted them today, not that I'm sending so many this year.  With the cost of postage being what it is I have cut down by at least half on the number I usually send.  

We had a lovely surprise on Sunday. G came home from work with this...



B &Q usually arrange a party of some sort for the staff at Christmas 🎄 This year, of course, there won't be one so all employees have been given a gift card.  G usually misses out because he doesn't 'do' parties so this is the first time in 10 years he has actually had something for Christmas from work.  This is so much better in my view than spending an evening drinking with virtual strangers and having to pay for a taxi home 🏡  We will consider carefully what to spend it on, although an online shop in the new year when we are tightening the purse strings is very tempting.

We have a shopping delivery due this evening (with some wine for Christmas) a delivery booked for next Monday and I finally managed to get a slot for Saturday 19th too.  I'm hoping that the freezer will be big enough to store enough food so that I won't need to order again until the new year.  I think slots will be few and far between until then anyway.  I can bake our own bread in the breadmaker if necessary (I have enough flour and yeast i think) we will have longlife milk too so might only need a bit of fresh salad and fruit to keep us going. 

Thank you to everyone who commented on my last post and offered suggestions for online shopping elsewhere.  I really appreciate it.

In other news: My beloved little 10 year old car passed its MOT 🙂 No money to be spent on it until the insurance is due next March...phew!

Anyway, I'm off to clear a shelf in the understair cupboard for the bottles and tins, and a drawer in the freezer for the frozen goodies.  Anti-bac wipes are at the ready 😷

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x 

15 comments:

  1. Hubby gets £50 Co-op vouchers each December. He worked for them for 20 years, always nice to have free shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great gift, £50 is worth having.
    You were lucky to get the slots. We have a standing slot with Asda because of Tom's illness, otherwise we would be stuck.
    Good news about the car, they are always a bit of a worry aren't they/
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Briony, it's such a relief to get the car through ok. I was extremely lucky to get the Saturday slot before Christmas. They were only released last Saturday morning and I logged on at just the right time I think. I heaved a sigh of relief!

      Delete
  3. I renewed my car insurance last month - went for the cheapest I could find via my online banking (Halifax) and last week I received a £50 Sainsbury's gift card (as a thank you) which will be really useful. The choices were Sainsbury's, Argos or B&Q, so my first thoughts were food!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Free food is always a bonus 😁 well done.

      Delete
  4. I'm pleased you hot some slots for your shopping. What a lovely gesture £50 card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tania, it was a relief to know that I won't have to go into a supermarket to shop.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely gift to have gotten. That will really come in handy.

    Glad that your car passed it's MOT.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, a £50 gift card is so much better than a party, especially as your man doesn't 'do' parties and all that they entail and cost. Sore head the next day, boring chat to work colleagues that just want to get drunk or go home and then the faff of a taxi.

    You have lots of time to plan what to spend it on too, more treats for Christmas or a re-stocking of the larder in January would be my first thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike Sue, my first thought was restocking the cupboards in January. There might even be a small challenge in the offing!

      Delete
  7. It feels good to be stocked up, doesn't it? Glad you got your slot and that you have your provisions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An unexpected gift card is always a wonderful treat! In fact, being a bit of a hermit, given the choice between a company party and a gift card, I'd pick a gift card every. single. time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you were able to get your car through the MOT without extra costs at this time of year and lovely to have a gift card to spend in the New Year. Hope you don't have to wait too long to get your own health problems sorted but glad hubby was able to get his care sorted. Look after yourself xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx