Monday 14 December 2020

Christmas is a-coming!


Google image

We don't have room for a tree :(

 Crikey, it's been a week since my last post already and time is creeping ever closer to Christmas.  I have written my cards and posted off the ones I needed to.  Isn't the postage charge a bit much now?  It's going up in the new year by 9p for first class as well.  I've cut down the number I send drastically already but will cut even more next year, I think.  I suppose I could use second class post but it would take an absolute age to get to it's destination.  My handmade cards have been pushed through the doors in plenty of time for them to be quarantined before opening.  My gifts for the family were wrapped at the weekend and are sitting in wait for delivery or collection.

I've just taken delivery of another food shop so I have one more next Saturday before Christmas week and then I will leave it as long as I can before trying to book another slot in the new year.  New Year's Eve will be a non-event so I'm not worried about what we will eat then.  I really hope that we can see our daughter and the grandchildren on Christmas day but time will tell and we will have to 'go with the flow' (or with Government directives).  We will all be so disappointed if we can't get together for at least Christmas Day as we have abided by the rules all along despite seeing others flouting them.  

Now...Brexit is looming too....what will that bring us I wonder? Word is that fresh fruit and veg will be in short supply and prices will increase.  No surprise there then.  I have a few extra tins of fruit in the cupboard but I'm not going to worry.  When I was a child we ate with the seasons and had very little variety regarding fruit.  If it wasn't grown locally we didn't get any.  The same was true of veg.  Winter meals mainly consisted of potatoes, carrots, onions and cabbage.  If we had tinned fruit it would be peaches, fruit cocktail or strawberries (anyone remember tinned strawberries? Yuk! so soggy) all served up with a drizzle of condensed milk.  Sunday tea was usually tinned fruit with a slice of bread and butter.  Happy days ;)  What do you remember eating as a child?

G has just come back from his walk so I need to sort out what we are eating tonight.  I have a small piece of steak for G but what do I feel like eating?  I haven't been out at all over the weekend nor today either so don't feel particularly hungry.  Maybe cheese on toast and an apple....

What are you cooking tonight?

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x





16 comments:

  1. I remember how wonderful it was to enjoy tinned peaches (we had evaporated milk on ours) without having to have bread & margarine accompanying them!
    As for the postage costs - at this rate sending Christmas cards will be a forgotten old tradition; I bet the cardmakers & sellers are trembling in their boots. This Christmas I'm not sending any; I intend to ring those friends & family who have sent cards to me instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fruit cocktail was my favourite :) Rambler, Re the sending of cards: I think many people will have a rethink now. I usually make and sell cards at craft fairs all year round but this year year has been a non-starter and I think my market will have totally dried up next year. It's a shame because personally I love getting post and lots of people must feel the same.

      Delete
  2. Angie, send them second class. My friend suggested I do that years ago as often they get to the destination the next day. I have found it makes no difference at all to the length of time it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always send mine 2nd class, it doesn't really make much difference. I do remember tinned strawberries, my mum used to use them to make a trifle over the Christmas period. We have just had chicken curry with rice, it made a nice change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheese on toast and an apple sounds yummy. I sent my Christmas cards out a few days ago. I will post a few more today, with some checks for out of work dance teachers. Hope you have a happy Christmas meal with your family, if possible. It's raging here in California. Ugh...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Rambler above, we had "tinned peaches and evap". Monday wash day involved Mum boiling things in the copper then squeezing them through the mangle (which lived outside the back door, in a sheltered area beside the coal shed) While she did that, I sat on the back step with a thick slice of bread spread with Stork (or Echo) marg, slathered with Fussell's Condensed Milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, happy days, Angela, happy days. Such simple pleasures. I wonder what children today would think about that. I can remember having toast with beef dripping too. Couldn't eat dripping now though ...

      Delete
  6. First class post is taking for ever too. The postal service is quite awful at the moment and its do expensive. I think everyone who can will buy next years stamps this week before the hike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We got our annual reminder from our Swiss pension. Priority mail from Switzerland to Cape Town, sent in August, arrived ... last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief, Diana, that's even worse than our mail. I send a small package to Australia every year and always allow 4 weeks for it to get there.

      Delete
    2. You are lucky you got it. I knitted some dolls cloths and sent them by courier cost a fortune but they did arrive. From KZN.

      Delete
  8. I only use second class and it usually arrives next day but I am not sending any Christmas cards this year, I am also phoning my wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mail here in Canada has to be out early or it won't make it.

    Hopefully Brexit will go a bit more smoothly than thought and things will not be in short supply. Canned peaches are lovely though.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was always tinned Fruit Salad and Carnation evaporated milk in our house. I always hated the cherry in the fruit salad so I would palm it off on my brother who loved them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cherry was my favourite bit! Still is in fact 😁

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx