Friday 4 September 2020

Getting Into The ' New Normal '

I am trying to get into the mindset of the 'new normal', a different way of doing things and getting a bit of my confidence back. Earlier in the week I went to get a second haircut, 6 weeks after the first one.  The salon was still clean, chairs well spaced and only 2 customers at a time.  I wore my mask again but it's really tricky getting the sides of my hair cut whilst wearing it especially the bit around my ears.  I was asked if I was comfortable with releasing the ear elastic one side at a time so that the hairdresser could cut the sides evenly! I held the mask over my face instead so that she could complete the job.  She was wearing a visor and standing behind me so I felt safe doing that. This is the result.......



Today we paid a visit to Ashwood Nurseries to get some compost and some more plants.  It wasn't too busy so we bought jacket potatoes for lunch and ate them in the coffee shop as there was a clean table right by the open doorway and a lady was right on the ball with sanitizer and a cloth doing the tables as soon as they were vacated.  It was lovely eating something I hadn't had to prepare myself at last!  We really enjoyed it.


I spotted the little fella above sitting displayed on a wall outside.  Although we've downsized bigtime I simply had to have him at £10.50  He is sitting in guard of some of my few precious remaining books on the shelf in my bedroom!  Touch them at your peril...lol...!!

I explained in a previous post how the food bill has been running away with me.  When I popped into the supermarket for a TV guide I passed the reduced section and saw this bread reduced from 85p to 26p.  I've popped it into the freezer and will take out a couple of slices as I need them.  G will only eat white bread so this will last me a while.  The first proper saving for months....



I simply must get back into the frugal habit I had before.   With this in mind, we did a manual shop at Sainsburys last week.  I used their scan and bag system, the first time I've ever used it for a big shop.  An assistant sanitized a scanner and handed it to me and I cleaned the handle of the trolley well myself.  The store was busy but very organized.  At the Smart Checkout it was amazingly quick and simple to do (no queueing) and I used £40 of Nectar points in part payment.  A £64 shop therefore cost me just £24 and I could even use contactless to pay.  I'll certainly do it again at some point, although I'm reluctant to give up home deliveries completely, but I am getting pretty fed up with substitutions and battered shopping being delivered!

I realised today that I have accrued quite a number of Boots Loyalty points too, so I have just placed an order online for over £30 worth of shampoo, deodorant, hand wash, hand gel, antibac wipes, talc etc which has cost me nothing in the way of cash, just points AND it's free delivery too.

Phew...I'm getting back on track at last, I think. 

Next I need to review the household bills.  It's been almost 9 months since we moved so I should be able to get a better idea of whether my original budget was on track or not.  Watch this space....

How are you all getting on with your spending? Is it more up or down?

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

8 comments:

  1. The mask is for the protection of others and as your hairdresser was wearing a visor I'm sure removing it for a few minutes did no harm at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dragon, I have two of them, they have a protective look. How good you are getting back on track with buying bargains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything feels much more expensive, shopping on line does not allow you to view all the bargains, we miss our yellow stickers. I do pop to our local Lidl, it feels safe in there, and we can walk to a Co-op for other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would need an army of dragons to guard my books, but I am still slowly whittling away stock for our local charity shop. Still need to brave having my COVID hedge cut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spending is up a bit (well a great deal) here. Prices are rising and when I see something that I have needed for awhile I grab it. Probably not the best way to shop.

    Love the dragon guarding your books.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our food spending is up sadly, prices are rising and I have not been able to grab a bargain. We have saved on the fuel, we filled the oil tank when it was at its lowest. I have shopped the online sales for Christmas gifts and have saved a fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for you. You are so disciplined. I buy what's on sale, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that's exactly how I had to do my mask for my haircut a couple of weeks ago, with short hair needing trimming around your ears it's the only way the hairdresser can do it. Luckily Margaret my hairdresser has been doing mine for years so it was mask released one side at a time and snip snip ... and elastic straight back round my ears.

    It's good to get back to noticing the spending and using coupons, loyalty points and spotting bargains isn't it. It's a mindset I seem to have lost too over the last few months. So I'm using this next Challenge to get me right back on track.

    I love the dragon :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx