Friday 12 June 2020

Morrisons Meat Essentials Box


My Morrisons food box arrived promptly at 13.41 yesterday and was placed by 'Simon' on the mat outside.  Ooh exciting!
It was in a sturdy box printed with the Morrisons logo (unlike the very first one I ordered which was in a plain box) and there was even a 'thank you' card on the top....



The first item I fished out was the bread....oh dear...a bit squished but never mind....


These were the dry and tinned goods including TOILET ROLLS! (not the kettle, of course!)......


A strange looking tin of baked beans obviously not from the UK..... but a lovely tin of Baxters veg soup, yummy...


The chilled foods were well packed in fleece (which we can use on the allotment) and ice packs so that the meat was still chilled on arrival.....


The apple packaging was undone so that the apples rolled out when I picked them up....


And 2 were damaged so they had to be eaten last night......


The sell by dates on the veg were a bit close (delivered on 11th , sell by 13th)  but they will keep well in the fridge....




The milk is dated 17th so that will be ok and I popped the spinach in the freezer to use later in recipes (Sue from Challenging Myself recommended doing that!)….



G's meaty fix:

There was a pack of mince which I made into Bolognese last night, making G three meals (one eaten as spag bol, two separate portions frozen for later).  I will keep back one chicken portion (they are very big) to roast for a gravy meal with veg, and cook the other in the slow cooker in a jar of curry sauce to serve with rice (although not the one sent in the box because that one's vegetable rice and we prefer Basmati) I will eat a small portion of the chicken curry, leaving the rest for G.  The 6 sausages will make G 3 meals:  2 sausages served with veg and gravy, 2 served as hot dogs in rolls with onions and 2 with streaky grilled bacon as a brunch.

Total : 9 meals plus whatever I can make from the veg, cheese and leftover bacon.  This box should feed 2 people for 7 days  so I need to create another 5 meals from the rest of it.  Baked beans and homemade wedges could be another meal for 2, pasta bake another, also my old favourite cheese on toast....



There is no way that 2 people can get their 5 a day of fruit and veg from this pack as the only fruit is apples and the veg: carrots, onions, spinach and peppers would get a bit monotonous but I do think it's good value for £35 including delivery.

G will get his meat fix and we have fish and veggie mince in the freezer for my own meals. Extra fruit will come from tins and our home grown strawberries.  At least I will be cooking something different for the week ahead!

I won't bore you all with a daily meal plan.  Sue, from Challenging Myself is so much better at it than I :)

Thanks so much for popping in. Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

25 comments:

  1. I think this time is making us all more efficent. Even the smooshy bread is not too big of a deal. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the bread will all be used!

      Delete
    2. It is a well-known fact that Illuminati consist of Multi Millionaires,
      Billionaires who have major influence regarding most global affairs,
      including the planning of a New World Order. Many world leaders,
      Presidents, Prime Ministers, royalty and senior executives of major Fortune
      500 companies are members of Illuminati. join a secret cabal of mysterious
      forces and become rich with boundless measures of wealth in your company or
      any given business, the great Illuminati can make everything possible just
      contact : join666cult@gmail.com or WhatsApp +1(646)481-0376 EL
      IAI LEXION Thaddeus Iam Vice-President of Citizen Outreach THE ILLUMINATI
      ORGANIZATION

      Do not hesitate to contact us by WhatsApp.

      Whatsapp: +1(646)481-0376
      Email : join666cult@gmail.com

      BEWARE OF SCAMMERS, THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGISTRATION FEE AND YOU MUST
      BE ABOVE THE AGE OF 18YRS.
      THANKS

      Delete
  2. I think your food delivery is very good value. I got my Instacart order yesterday, it is fun seeing the contents of the box. And remember, we did not have to drive anywhere to get this so that is a saving of money and time and less health risk for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd much rather not venture into the shops, Terra, as you say deliveries save time, money and risk :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing that. It is interesting to see what is included. It does look like good value but mainly not items I eat and definitely not enough fruit and veg for me. I am managing at the moment by shopping at 8 am. It's lovely and quiet then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more fruit and veg too, Jean, but we needed the meat for G more at the moment.

      Delete
  4. I suppose an essentials box doesn't have to contain a balanced diet. But it's got a good range of goodies nevertheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My OH went into Sainsbury's to try to get baked beans and they had that brand. We didn't enjoy them as much as others we've had. We usually have budget Sainsbury's or Lidl. We found the sauce thinner and the beans were harder. I hope yours tasted better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like the budget Sainsbury's beans too, Angela, and haven't tried the weird ones yet!

      Delete
  6. I wish we got boxes like that, but since we don't I will live vicariously through you and Sue.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that's a very good price. It's nice that they deliver, too. Congratulations on the strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes a good price, but you don't get to choose the contents? We've been very fortunate and have been able to get delivery slots every 10days so we very thankful for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Chris, you can only choose which box you want eg meat essentials, vegetarian, vegan etc and the contents are prone to substitutions if they run out of something. I do get occasional delivery slots but we needed to keep spending down a bit this week, hence the fixed price box.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for sharing it was interesting to see what you got, it certainly appeared great value for money.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really good box, and a good variation on my vegan food box. It is easy to work out the first few meals but then it's a case of what do I make with the rest.

    I pulled some salad things and a couple of extra potatoes into my Challenge to use the box for just me but for two weeks, and it SEEMS to be panning out as per my menu plan up now.

    Oh your poor bread!! Did it spring back into shape at all?

    And Simon is busy isn't he, he (or his namesake) brought my box too.
    Maybe they only employ 'Simons' as delivery drivers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My bread recovered slightly, Sue, but some of the slices retained a most peculiar shape! And Simon must work very hard to be all over the country on the same day ...lol... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe he's the Morrison's version of Santa :-)

      Delete
  12. Thanks for showing and explaining the contents of your food delivery box. We have never ordered from any similar company here in the US. It seems like you have to expect there could be some short expiration date or food spoilage but glad you were able to use the apples and that the bread recovered somewhat. Thanks too for explaining the fixed price.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Its not a bad box, is it, especially at the price and free delivery. A pity about the squdgey bread, but as I used to say to the kids, it all goes down the same way! Funny about the Simons :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx