Wednesday 24 June 2020

Weird Times Indeed

The last 12 days have been pretty weird as the country begins to open up and begin functioning again.  We have been getting telephone calls regarding attending to repairs/snagging on our new home which were all put on hold during lockdown.  One thing which needs doing is the bathroom floor which was starting to lift.  The chap came to look at it ( we left him to it, keeping a safe distance) and announced that "it's not good news, I'm afraid" :/  Apparently the floor screed is breaking up with the result that the whole floor covering needs to be taken up, the floor re-screeded, and new tiles re-laid.  This could happen next week if we're lucky.  The french doors have been adjusted this morning (they were getting hard to lock) and a replacement vent put on the bedroom window.

Tuesday of last week, I got an appointment at a private hospital which took an hour to drive to and locate.  On arrival I had to sanitise my hands, my temperature was taken and I was given a mask to wear.  I found it very hot and hard to breathe through yet I know it was absolutely necessary.  There were just 2 of us in the waiting room.  I was called through quickly to see the consultant, who was also wearing a mask,  where I was examined and advised that nothing could be done to help me.  It cost  £273  :(

Once a week we are visiting Himley Park for a walk and some fresh air.  We went yesterday and noticed that the little cafe was open.  Only one person was allowed in at a time, food orders were placed on a table outside for collection and well spaced benches to sit on.  I ordered cheese toastie and a paper cup containing tea.  I thoroughly enjoyed eating in the shade of a huge tree with a lovely breeze wafting through but by 3.30pm I was in pain and suffered 'the runs' twice before 6pm when I had to take some medication to stop it.  I seriously wonder if dairy could be my problem.  I have been cutting down quite a bit and have been feeling better up to now.  It looks like it's going to be trial and error with tracking down the suspect foods.....

We continue to have our food delivered every week to 10 days, for which I am eternally grateful, and I'm managing to keep the cost down a little this month helped, of course, by the meat essentials box I talked about on the 12th June.  All the meat is now gone, apart from a portion of Bolognese sauce in the freezer, so I have ordered a pack of lean stewing beef for the slow cooker in my next delivery.  This should make G 3 meals in total.  The delivery will be between 8 - 9pm tonight.  I'm not so keen on late slots but this one only cost £1 and the van was in our area at that time anyway so less fuel being used.

Speaking of fuel, I haven't topped up with petrol for several weeks so there are savings to be had there :)

Now all I need is for a hairdresser to be open!  I have my name down on a waiting list for the village salon where I used to go before we moved to the park home in the country.

How are you coping with your hair?  What are you looking forward to being open again soon?

Stay safe everyone, wherever in the world you happen to be x







10 comments:

  1. So sorry to read that nothing could be done to help your health issue. We are having delivery as well. Although I am very grateful I do miss not choosing my own food, particularly fruit and veg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your's is the third post I have read this morning all with the same theme, my post today was much the same, it is strange times. I had a short bob at the start it's now a long bob, I'm lucky it still looks tidy, but it way to long for me, oh soon....... Glad your snagging is being done, the floor sounds a pain to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to know that the cafe has re-opened at Himley Hall. I've got been since the weekend before lockdown started so well due for another visit and will be able to treat myself to lunch there now x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does sound as though you are or are becoming dairy intolerant :-(

    Our bodies keep their resistance to dairy for as long as we regularly consume it, within days of dairy being withheld you body starts to relax it's defences and then when a sudden onslaught of dairy hits it (for example a cheese sandwich or toastie) it rebels. You will find the problem will only either stay the same if you eat the amount of dairy you are eating at the moment, or get worse if you cut it out completely and then accidently consume dairy ... which is the stage I am at now. I know within minutes of accidently eating something with even a touch of some kind of milk or some whey powder in it, firstly with stomach pains and a general feeling of YUK!! And then later with the runs.

    My hair ... well I was brave and cut the top and sides myself, and later gave Alan instructions on how to cut the back. I have 'steps' rather than layers at the back now but at least it is more manageable.

    I'm just looking forward to the caravan park being open again and me being able to get there. I don't mind doing without anything else ... I just want to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think food is at the bottom of a lot of illnesses. I have arthritis and am sure that certain food makes it worse but the Doctor in his wisdom does not agree.
    Some days I am in a lot of pain and the only remedy that the dr can give is pills and more pills and I really do not want to become dependant on them so choose to suffer until it gets unbearable.
    Like you there is nothing that can be done.
    I tell myself that it could be worse and list in my head all the things that i could suffer from that are much worse and it makes me feel slightly better.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your new floor is laid without any further problems. Lactose is quite a common intolerance and there are quite a few alternatives than heavens to milk and cheese. I had my hair cut extra short just days before lockdown so its lasted well. But I'm fed up with it now and want it cut.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's too bad that you aren't feeling well. I stopped eating eggs and drinking milk in my lattes, what a difference. It was making me flare with arthritis. I hope you figure out what works for you. Glad you got to go to a restaurant and eat outside. It really helps, after all of this sheltering in place. I need to get my hair trimmed, too. I just wear it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew £273 but you've had an answer altho sorry that nothing could be done for you, hope this are not too bad. And I am longing to get out to a little café out in the country near us, yours sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Marlene, I have looked at the self test kits but they don't have very good reviews and some need to be sent to a lab for testing at an extra cost. Thank you for the suggestion anyway x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope the floor issues get repaired soon and without additional cost. How disappointing that medical consult turned out and to be told there was nothing that could be done. Is it possible to seek another opinion? Lately, I have also been having what I suspect is arthritis and found several previous comments interesting as to possible causes, perhaps you will fund certain food intolerances are the culprit with your issues as well.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx