Sunday 4 August 2019

What a Silly Thing

I had a terrible night's sleep last night.  It was not for want of being tired either.  I'd had a busy day shopping, cleaning, tidying whilst G was at work until 8pm but as soon as my head touched the pillow I just couldn't clear my head.  I was a bit warm too, although the window was open to let in some air, and I tossed and turned from 10.30pm until 2am when I gave in, quietly turned on the light and read my book for half an hour.  I finally dozed off around 3am only to wake at 7.20am feeling disorientated and a bit sick.  I know it's silly but I lay there worrying about the future ie will G get worse? Are we sure we can really afford to spend all our savings on the new house? Will G have to give up work and put us on the breadline? How on earth will we manage the move as neither of us will be on the right side of 70 years old etc, etc  We have been through all of this in our discussions and I've done the sums over and over again but everything seems so much worse in the dark, don't you think?  I haven't told G I was worrying all night it might set him off.  I'm usually the rational one...lol.

Since we decided to move we have been watching our spending.  We won't have to pay our site fees in December this year so today I've been able to move some of the money saved for that to the savings account for the new house.  My Daughter recommended her friend , who is a hairdresser working from home, to cut my hair.  I was a bit nervous at first but she's fine and charges just £14 for a cut and blow dry instead of the £26 charged in the village, a potential saving of £108 per year based on 9 appointments  AND I get to see DD for a coffee on the day I go (every 6 weeks) :)

I think we might ditch the expensive broadband when we move too.  We are locked into a contract until mid December and pay over £51 per month which seems like A LOT.  The TV is Freesat. We are toying with the idea of ditching a landline and using our mobiles too. G is on a cheap contract and I'm with Tesco PAYG who triple £10 a month top up to £30 which is more than enough.

Has anyone else ditched the landline? Or is it risky?

Whilst sorting out the cupboard I came across an opened packet of sultanas with a best before date of end of August 2019.  Oooh a soak in some strong tea then made into a quick teabread while the oven was on for something else, waste not want not, as my mum used to say :)






Anyway, the slow cooker is on with a lovely beef stew for G today so I can just relax and enjoy Poldark this evening.

Here's to a better sleep tonight!
Stay safe everyone wherever you happen to be x

20 comments:

  1. I don't have a landline. I don't think you need one these days. £23 a month covers my broadband and mobile phone.
    Glad you're feeling better today. I hate those night time thoughts. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jules £23 a month sounds much better x

      Delete
  2. We went with EE for broadband, my mobile is with Tesco. We kept the BT telephone as the number is with a lot of people to contact me on. Doctors, care people, potential art customers etc. Hope you sleep better tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had a landline for years, and I don't miss it. Suze Orman has an excellent podcast called Women and Money, and it's free. I have found that not paying for television, having inexpensive hobbies, and using our public library and bus system has really helped me to reduce expenses. Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie, I'll check that out and thanks so much for the tips x

      Delete
  4. Please do not worry about moving at your age. Hubby and I moved into our home 5 years ago and we were 68 and 78 years young. We moved everything ourselves as well in a hired van.We were shattered at the end of the day but it has been so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne, that is such a comforting comment, thank you. Perhaps I AM worrying too much x

      Delete
  5. I had a dreadful night last night too.I needed a quick nap after lunch to catch up.Hope you have a better night tonight.Things always seem worse in the early hours.Good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear you too Busy. It's awful isn't it. Thanks for the good luck wishes x

      Delete
  6. We can't plan for every possible outcome. That's what makes risk so risky. I've often joked that as long as you know how to make soup you'll be ok. You know how to make soup AND wonderful tea bread. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Glenda, you have made me smile today ;) x

      Delete
  7. Getting rid of my landline is on my agenda. There is do much competition and regulations regarding mobiles there will always be deal yo be had. You're already thinking thrifty, I'm sure you'll manage just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had a landline in years. If I have something on my mind I am the same tossing and turning, it is a big thing, I hope it all works out for you, if things get tight there will be some sort of benefit which will help you out I'm sure. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene, it's so easy to worry over something which might not happen I know. Take care x

      Delete
  9. Those kind of nights are horrible aren't they? I've had a few myself since Andy decided to retire a year early. I think we'll manage but it's still a worry. I'll just have to fall back on my 1001 ideas for a tin of corned beef....lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand your worry too Sheila. It will be a big change in your lives for sure but exciting too despite the corned beef!! Hugs to you x

      Delete
  10. Everything seems worse at night, it is always hard. My husband and I took early retirement and moved, downsizing and had many sleepless nights wondering if we were doing the right thing. We are living the dream and hopefully you will too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you MM. You certainly seem to be enjoying your new life. I love reading about it very much x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx