Sunday 30 April 2023

Songs That Always Make Me Cry


I have realised that some song lyrics never fail to make me cry, and I don't mean that my eyes fill with tears,  I actually end up sobbing.  The following have all affected me over the last week:

* In the living years by Mike and The Mechanics ( it makes me cry about my late father)

*Bring him home by Josh Groben (which reminds me that I haven't seen my son in the flesh for many years as he lives in Sydney)

*The movie in my mind by Eva Noblezada , from Miss Saigon, ( it makes me weep for all the girls and women used and abused during the war in Vietnam, as my daughter-in-law is Vietnamese)

And the mother of all songs to leave me in a pool of tears:

* Monsters by James Blunt ( it was written when his father was very ill but can be interpreted to mean all the fathers lost during the pandemic)  It cracks me up every time.....

What songs bring out an emotional response in you?

After watching James Blunt's video on U-TUBE (TWICE) I needed a comforting bowl of soup with hot buttered toast.....



Thanks for popping in and stay safe everyone, wherever in the world you happen to be x

17 comments:

  1. "Bring him home" (aka Jean Valjeans prayer from Les Mis) reduces me to tears every time too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything and anything that Josh Groban sings!
    I dont know that James Blunt track so will have to google - hope it doesn't have any effect on me as I hate crying nowadays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you watch the video of James looking directly at the camera with his father seated beside him, I'm sure you'll crack up too 😭

      Delete
  3. It's corny, but Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to listen to this song again after you mentioned it and, yes....it brought tears to my eyes. Another one for the list, I think.....

      Delete
  4. I agree with the first two, definitely, especially Living Years. Yesterday I was feeling over emotional (not sure why) and was blubbing to the music in the car: not because it is sad, but because the singer died (2 years ago now) and had such a lovely voice and sang the songs so well...and now we won't hear him live again. And some of the songs are quite emotional too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, James Blunt Monsters get's me right on the verge ... every time. Watching the video with him and his Dad is so moving. Soup and hot buttered toast sounds like the perfect comforting food after being emotional. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. For me, it is always the music rather than the lyrics that affect me. Often, I don't notice the words, but the tunes and harmonies do round and round in my head for days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some tunes are rather like an ear worm, aren't they, and you can't shake them off. If I listen to Nathan Evans's version of Wellerman sea shanty (which I love), I'm humming it for days!

      Delete
  7. I find myself crying at the strangest times when listening to music. A few days ago it was the Banana song, probably because of the death of Belafonte.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, yes, he had a wonderful rich voice didn't he.....

      Delete
  8. The songs that make me tear up are the ones my mother used to sing and which I now wish I had sung to her when she was having dementia. They might have brought back a memory to her, but, I didn't know back then what I know now about the power of music to reach those with dementia. They are tears of regret for a missed opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that, Bless, The Living Years by Mike and The Mechanics is about the regret of not saying or doing something which you later feel should have been said /done. Music can, indeed, be very powerful.

      Delete
  9. I just went to Palm Springs to see Lucie Arnaz and Tommy Tune. When he came onstage I started crying. It was emotional to see him again because I have worked with him so many times. Some songs trigger grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed they do, Stephenie, it must have been very emotional for you. I hope the overall feeling was of joy and nostalgia in the end though.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx