Monday 24 April 2023

Alarmed or Not? And Frugal Doings....

 

(Last year's hanging basket)

Well, did yesterday's 3pm alarm from the government reach you?  Although I knew it was coming it still made me jump 👀 but it wasn't a problem.

As there was an antiques fair on locally, I took the opportunity in the morning for a walk in the fresh air and a mooch around the stalls.  It cost £2 to park for 2 hours and £2.50 to gain entry to the fair but I enjoyed looking at all the stuff on offer.  I didn't buy anything, because I'm selling not buying, but enjoyed the chance to find out what's out there.  I did succumb to a takeaway cup of tea for £2 but sat on a bench to enjoy the gentle sun and fresh air whilst I drank it.

Frugal things:

* I got a free jam donut from Greggs on Saturday whilst in the village ( and dropped a big blob of jam onto my clean top 😏)

* I had 3 small eBay sales during the week totalling £28.23 which has gone into the savings tin

* £50 from surveys dropped into my bank account this week too ( I heartily recommend YLive) but I'll leave it in there and donate a bit extra to the food bank when I next go shopping.

* We carried on eating the bits from the kitchen freezer, which is almost clear now of tiny amounts of this or that 👍

I can see that I have some veg in the fridge which needs eating including a pack of leeks, so leek and potato soup will figure largely in next week's food plan.  

Can I just welcome my latest followers; Tasker, Helen and Alicia.  I've been very rude lately and keep forgetting to say "Hi"......

Anyway, that's all for now.  Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x

11 comments:

  1. We too are eating all the bits and bobs from the freeze, I am sure they multiply, because no matter how many we eat, there are still more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's amazing how long it takes to finish them up. I usually eat 2 and put 3 more back in...lol...

      Delete
  2. A straw poll of my immediate family suggests that 50% of our phones went off. I had my phone in my pocket - but often when I'm at home it's in another room. I'm not sure I'd have heard it if I'd been in the lounge watching TV and the phone was somewhere else....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that the alarm wasn't as loud as I expected, Angela, even though the volume on my phone was on max. It only made me jump because it was right beside me on the sofa.

      Delete
  3. I was out with my friends when we received the alarm. Back home G and D also had the alarm. I didn't find it that loud and might have missed it if it had been in another room or in my bag.
    I'm checking the fridge for leftovers before starting each days meals. At the moment it is going well. Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't find it very loud either. I think the system needs tweaking.

      Delete
  4. That's a gorgeous hanging basket. What was the alarm about? You are doing so well with you EBay sales and survey income.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephenie, the alarm was a nationwide test so that anyone who is in danger in the future due to flood, fire, acts of terrorism etc can receive an alert on their phone explaining what to do. Unfortunately, some people got the alarm twice while others didn't get it all! The system needs some serious tweaking before it can work properly, I think..lol... It's a good idea in principle because so many areas close to rivers here get flooded regularly.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading about all the frugal things you are doing! I'm harvesting a few things from the garden (snow pea pods, for the most part) and freezing them for later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bless, isn't it great to harvest home grown produce! I had to google snow peas...we call them mange tout I think. I bet they tasted amazing :)

      Delete
  6. As I was in a pottery shop when the alarm went off my phone was in my bag, but the noise in the shop with about 15 customers alarms all going off in a slightly staggered fashion was amazing. We had a good laugh as some people had no idea what was going on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx