Thursday 25 February 2021

On Screws & Charity Bags

Yesterday started off quite wet and windy, but by afternoon things had improved enough for G to get into the garden.  He's bought a self assembly cold frame/greenhouse type kit and I was glad to usher him outside to construct it and to leave me in peace 😊  After a while, I was observing his efforts through the window and saw a small plastic packet fall from the patio table to the ground so I shouted "is there anything important in that packet? It just blew off the table".  "Yes" G replied "the screws".  At that point another gust of wind skittered the packet across the lawn to the end of the garden and by the time he had sauntered over and picked it up, guess how many screws were left?  That's correct...NONE! It took me almost half an hour to locate about half of the dozen or so missing screws.  G couldn't find a single one. Men!   Why were they not in his pocket? 😏 We'll be finding them on the lawn for months....

Anyway, Spring is almost here.  My tete-a-tete daffodils are showing their pretty little heads.  The pot is far too big to show them off properly but it was the only one we had available at the time....


Today the weather is gorgeous.  I put G's tatty old gardening jacket into the machine first thing this morning and then pegged it out in the sunshine.  It's virtually dry.  I'll do mine tomorrow if it's sunny again.

Since we moved, over a year ago, the delivery of charity bags through the letterbox has been non-existent for obvious reasons.  Neither have the charity shops been open and so I have been popping odd unwanted items into a carrier bag in the wardrobe.  Today we received this.....



I have until Sunday evening to have a bit of a sort out and get rid of some unwanted items to a good cause so that's my task for the next few days.  I would imagine that charities have lost an awful lot of revenue due to Covid and they will be gearing up to reopen at some point soon.  Do you get these collection bags in your area?

Thank you everyone for your comments on my haircut post.  They brought a smile and sometimes an outright chuckle too.

Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x




15 comments:

  1. We used to get lots of these bags but I think we have only had one in the last year.
    Here's hoping you find those pesky screws soon. What a pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, Beverley, we can't find any more so had to find similar ones in the shed to finish the job.

      Delete
  2. We get loads of them, but I rather take clothes to the salvation army bins in our village,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to take stuff directly to the shop but, of course, they are not open at the moment and we don't have any bins nearby.

      Delete
  3. Tom is like this, I set him a job but have to keep a careful eye on him otherwise he would lose screws etc just the same. lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen these bags locally I generally drop things into one of the big bins for a local charity. Hope you manage to find all the screws...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No bins around here unfortunately MM and they did take books and bric a brac too.

      Delete
  5. Dear Angie,

    At the first mention of "self-assemby", our eyes glazed over in unison and, if we could have spoken, we would have said..."not for us!"

    We are totally lacking in practical skills and could not possibly even contemplate embarking upon this exercise, with screws or without. We have total admiration for G who clearly is a handy person and we would totally forgive his losing the screws....we would have lost the plot...completely!

    In Budapest, there are very few charity shops and it is difficult to know why. There are a huge number of second-hand clothes shops but nothing to resemble those on the UK high street. The charity bags are a very good opportunity to have a good sort out and, as you say, all charities must have lost income during the pandemic. Let us hope that the bag deliveries are heralding an opening up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Veterans leave bags like that for us. They will pick up household items and clothing with their truck. I usually drop off my stuff at the Salvation Army. Love the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's handy to have stuff collected isn't it. They just picked it up in a marked van so I know it's going to the charity.

      Delete
  7. I wish we got bags like that, but I make do with the bags from grocery shopping. Put all that plastic to good use.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Jackie, plastic must not be single use so that's a great idea.

      Delete
  8. I've been putting all my clothes and bedding sorting out in the Oxfam donation bin at the Sainbury's near me, it's on our doggy walk route so a carrier bag full once a week has been getting the sorting out done very nicely.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx