Tuesday 23 February 2021

Finances & Bargain Renewal

 Gosh, we're almost at the end of yet another month and time to check the finances.

My car insurance is due in the middle of next month so I listened to Martin Lewis 😀 and searched via a price comparison website for a new policy.  Last year I paid £229.98 and although the renewal came in lower at £203.56 the comparison site came back with a quote of £160.16 including protected no claims discount (which I didn't have before) so it was, as they say a "no-brainer" to go with the new, well known, company.  They sent out the documents within a couple of days too which is impressive.  The last company was online only so a bit trickier to get the documents. Anyway, I'm very happy with the price and I can travel 3000 miles in the coming year! That's a laugh isn't it 😂  I wish....

I've checked the gas & electricity accounts and we are on track with our monthly DD payments of £36 for electricity and £15.66 for Gas but I want to ensure we don't waste any electricity as that account is close to the wire, as it were, with a predicted mere 20p credit balance at the end of the plan.  I fixed the new tariff for 2 years (again thanks to Martin Lewis) so we know roughly what we will have to pay in coming months but we need to be aware of wasting electricity so .....

1) Ceiling lights off and table lamp on in the evening

2) The Humax box will be turned off until needed rather than left on standby

3) Mobile phones and tablets to be unplugged as soon as charged (and not left on all night G!!) 

4) Don't overfill the kettle for 2 mugs of tea G ! And don't switch it on at all if you don't intend to drink said mug of tea 😒

Do you have any tips for saving on electricity please?

The Council Tax bills will be dropping onto the mat soon. According to the internet the rates are increasing to a higher level than last year but I'm not too worried about it as I've allowed an uplift of 5% in the budget for 2021.

GOOD NEWS:

There was no party again next door this weekend...hooray!....😀  It was absolute bliss so I think she had gone out again.  Long may it continue....

The biggie yesterday was Boris's announcement of the 'road map' out of lockdown with schools to reopen on 8th March  ( I can hear all the mums cheering!) and I will actually be able to meet our Daughter in an outside space for coffee together from the same date.  I can't wait....😂

Unfortunately there will be no haircut until at least 15th April and it depends on Covid numbers falling at the expected rate.  It's all down to behaviour folks 👀 My hair needs a tidy up!

Thanks so much for popping in. Stay safe everyone wherever in the world you happen to be x



11 comments:

  1. Change all your light bulbs to the LEDs. They run on pennies. I don't know if you have any Walmart-like stores there, but here at big box stores you can get them very cheaply now. Put your computer on "sleep" or set it to "sleep" when you won't be using it for a bit. If you have electric clocks, shop at thrift stores and get a wind-up clock. If you have a dishwasher, hand wash a few times instead and make sure when you do run the dishwasher that the "no heat" dry setting is chosen. For refrigerators, the LESS in the refrigeration space, the easier it will cool. The MORE in the freezer section, the easier it will maintain the temp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some great tips there, Holly, thank you. We don't have a dishwasher (except for me 😉) but I might start washing breakfast and lunch things together. This will save on gas and water bills!

      Delete
  2. Great deal on the car insurance. Heres hoping the route map out of lockdown works and you get to meet up with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Power hog is an electric geyser - we have a solar geyser, and backup with electricity in colder weather. Ours is on a timer (mostly switched off)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solar powered anything is great, Diana, well done 🙂

      Delete
  4. Dear Angie,

    We love visiting your blog and picking up frugal tips. It is amazing how by making some tiny adjustments that one barely notices the impact on finances can be substantial.

    We do not have any central lights at all and live by lamp light alone. In said lamps are energy saving bulbs so, although we exist in semi-darkness for most of the time, we are always shown in a complementary light!!:):)

    Good news about the motor car insurance. We gave up our motor cars years ago....that really was a saving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you, Jane and Lance, that's a lovely thing to say 😊 I think lamps are the way to go for us too. In bright light we look 10 years older!😂 I keep hanging on to my little car because its 10 years old and absolutely no bother at all and I do value my independence (once we can get out again that is) stay safe my lovelies x

      Delete
  5. I dream of a hair cut, how silly, I now have a long bob, it still looks good, but I hate it this length, I had it last cut in early December. We are in a support bubble with youngest daughter and see 2 of our 8 grandsons, but we miss the other boys and their parents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, Marlene, my hair is driving me mad too.
      I miss our GC so much. Glad you can at least have a little company but i bet it feels so unfair not to see the others doesn't it. G and I only have each other which can be problematic sometimes when we get irritated ðŸĪŠ

      Delete
  6. You put me to shame with your care in shopping for insurance. I always mean to but seem to forget. I really must try harder this year. I think I will look through and write down renewal dates on the calendar. That little bit of normality in the future is something to really look forward to isn't it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx