Sunday 10 December 2017

A Winter Wonderland!

A heavy snowfall overnight meant that I awoke to a Winter wonderland yesterday.  I needed potatoes so decided to clear the car of snow and pop into town.  No way!  Beneath the snow was a heavy layer of impenetrable frost....


Instead, I trecked (very slowly and gingerly) into the village to buy some (overpriced) spuds and spent the day pottering, cleaning and watching some Stargate SG-1 I had recorded :) (I LOVE that series!)  By 3pm the sun had melted the snow on the paths so I went back to the car which was, by now, also pretty clear and decided on the spur of the moment to pop into town after all.  The main roads had been gritted and were clear so I managed to get to Mr M easily.   I bought lots of fresh veg and salad stuff as well as a few staples like butter, flour, milk and bottled water.

I'm so glad I did because the snow began to fall again in the early hours of this morning and it's sticking.  OH has gone to work as you can see from the footprints....


Heaven knows when he will get back.  He's just texted to say that the main roads are ungritted and pretty ropey.  I just hope the gritters will be out later on or OH could be sleeping at 'You Can Do It' ...lol...

There will be no usual 'big shop' tomorrow by the look of it but I have the makings of several meals.  Tonight will be Quorn cottage pie & veg (4 servings) then we can have:

Quorn Lasagne (4 servings),
Fish, chips and peas
Vegetable soup
Jacket potatoes (with cheese or beans)
Beans on toast
Egg on toast etc
So we won't starve.

This afternoon I will make a large fruit cake and maybe some more of the golden syrup cookies I made yesterday. The recipe is from The Hairy Bikers 'mother knows best' cookbook page 201. They are really quick and easy to make and no more than 10 minutes in the oven. 


We are due an LPG top up but I have checked the gauge and the tank is 45% full so we can last up to 3 weeks if we have to, although I really, really want the tank full before Christmas in case we have more snow later.  That's one disadvantage of not being on mains gas.  You can live on a knife edge in Winter in case the gas runs out, then no heating and no hot water! We have an electric fire in the living room so I can turn down the heating and stay in one room until this evening.  Baking will warm the kitchen up nicely and the oven is electric so no LPG wasted there.

Do you have snow? Are you well prepared?

Take care and thanks so much for popping in x

8 comments:

  1. Yes.....we have snow and it's looking pretty dodgy out there.
    I don't know if our country lane has been gritted so I don't think DD and I will be nipping out this morning as we planned.
    The oil tank is over half full so we are OK for heat and hot water but I am a bit worried in case the electricity goes off as I will have no way of cooking apart from a one ring camping stove.
    Stay safe and cosy.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing electricity would be awful, Sheila. I don't even have a camping stove! Good luck and stay safe xx

      Delete
  2. No snow here (Somerset), a howling gale instead, chucking it down and very strong wind. We have plenty of stores so no need for shopping. We're also no gas....living in a tiny rural hamlet everyone has bottled gas or oil, our oil tank is nearly full so no worries there. We do have regular power cuts though, fortunately they don't generally last long. I love SG1 too! Stay warm and dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh.. a fellow SG-1'er! I watched every single episode when they were shown on channel 4 years ago. But I'm watching them all again on Pick 144 freesat. I could watch them over and over...and over again. Stay safe x

      Delete
  3. Still snowing here too, big fat flakes and then some of the fine powdery stuff, rinse and repeat. The neighbours that I met while dog walking are all saying that it is the first real snowfall for several years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Pam, ours is the worst since 2010 and it's 4.20pm and STILL coming down. Stay warm x

      Delete
  4. I prefer to walk, I don't like driving in snow and ice. Your biscuits look very good. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Driving in snow terrifies me too, Marlene. I need to go to the post office tomorrow but I'll be walking to the village. Stay warm x

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx