Friday 30 December 2022

NHS failures and More Covid....

 Yesterday I took down all the Christmas decorations apart from the door wreath and the cards.  I usually leave the wreath until 12th night anyway but the rest could go.  It's not been a good festive season for any of us this year and a video call with our Son in Australia on Christmas day (which was his 50th birthday too) revealed that his wife had contracted covid for the second time this year and our 7 year old Granddaughter had caught it and now P has it too.  Our GD was ill for just a day and then perked up but our Son didn't look well at all.  His big birthday bash was cancelled and I felt so sorry for him. 

DD has now got a sore throat and cough too....

My visit to the GP was not successful either.  I spoke to the receptionist, explaining the eye problem which began on Christmas eve and she just said " we have nothing to do with eyes". What??..... She gave me an optician's phone number to call for an appointment.  I asked if they would charge me and she said " I dont think so" so I got back to my car and rang them. It turned out that they were miles away and didn't even have an available appointment for several days.  Luckily, the kind lady I was speaking to arranged an appointment for me this afternoon in my own village.  I had to suffer for yet another day though......

To be perfectly honest I can't wait to see the end of this year. Let's hope 2023 will be better for everyone. 

Stay safe and well x

10 comments:

  1. It seems to be that the GP's are doing less and less now and soon many more of the services will have to be treated privately which is what the government intend to do overtime. In our area anything to do with the musculoskeletol is only dealt with by a private company not our GP - at present we don't have to pay but I have heard that as the government sell off bits of the NHS we will eventually be charged for this service too just like podiatry, ear wax removal and eye problems. I have a friend who works in government and the things we don't hear about are quite frightening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh you can't afford to be ill now. I haven't heard anything about musculoskeletal in this area but I bet that we too have been side lined to a paying service. What with the ambulance service and nurses being on strike it is certainly frightening. My brother-in-law fell down at 3am at home last week and my sister called an ambulance as she couldn't get him up. By 9.30am he was still on the floor so she called her son-in-law who made a one hour round trip to help get him up and into a chair. Still no show...so she cancelled the ambulance at 2.30pm... almost 12 hours after the fall. It's very scary.

      Delete
  2. Sadly the NHS is crumbling, just at the time we need it most, after years of paying our NI and taxes, we don't have the service promised. Moving the pension age for women, giving us extra 5 to 7 years to work. We are the generation who paid our dues and now as we need them, they are failing us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No truer word was ever spoken, Marlene, it's a promise to the nation broken. Yet again...

      Delete
  3. I've decided keeping away from children is the best way of avoiding illness - every time I spend a day with grandchildren I end up with a cold/sore throat/cough!
    Otherwise goodness knows what happens, keeping fingers crossed to stay well as long as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get well soon. We had some sniffles here too. 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes when I had scary problems with my eyes after some blood pressure tablets had side effects last year, the Dr told me to ring the optician. Luckily they always have two emergency appointments available each day and I managed to get one of them. Because mine was caused by prescribed tablets, she was able to do all the tests and the follow up visits and bill the NHS rather than me,

    Our NHS service is being chipped away at bit by bit, it's very worrying. I do hope you are able to get the treatment that you need, eyes are very precious things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do seem to be losing the 'feel ill ring the GP' state of mind. Now it's more like 'what on earth do I do?' I can understand why people go to A & E for minor things, it's out of desperation for immediate reassurance.
      Thank you for your good wishes Sue.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx