Saturday 10 November 2018

Saturday Already! & Allotment News

Saturday already!  After a night of torrential bursts of rain, the day dawned damp but sunny.  My sore throat has gone and, although I still have the remnants of a cold, I feel much better.  The craft fair opened for setting up at 9am but, as I was already awake at 5am courtesy of G, it was no hardship.  The footfall was not brilliant again despite radio ads and leaflet drops so I might give it up after the December one which I've already paid my £5 for.  Takings today were the grand sum of £7.80 so it's just not worth the effort :(

We spent a couple of mornings at the allotment and it's looking much better already....



After strimming, we can see just how big it is and the piles of 'rubbish' at the end can ultimately be used to fill some raised beds. As you can see , there are 3 wood edged areas where turf has been dumped, along with other stuff which should break down....





Next week we will cover three quarters of the area with plastic sheeting weighed down with some pallets that a chap very kindly took to the allotment for us.  Once we start cultivating the plot in the Spring we will re-use the pallets to make something like edging or a structure / shelter at the far end.  We are not allowed to have a shed (sob!) and no chickens are allowed either :(

There are some toilets on site; the composting variety!







The instructions are on the wall for the mens' room and although I haven't yet investigated the womens' version, I'm sure all will become clear ….lol....

Has anyone else tried a composting loo?  Who the devil empties it? Or is it a soakaway?  AArrgghh!

Have a great weekend everyone.
Stay safe wherever you happen to be x

9 comments:

  1. I used to do craft fairs and like you gave up as I wasn't making any money at all. I loved making the things and people all said how lovely they were but didn't buy,lol
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what happened today, Briony. It's very disheartening x

      Delete
  2. I am so sorry the craft fair wasn't a huge success again, such a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a rethink MM. I'm selling more on eBay than at the fairs.

      Delete
  3. Composting loos are good. Collette at https://bealtainecottage.com has one in her cottage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did a craft fair today and made $275, which was pretty good, but if I had a dollar for all the oohing and aahing and they're beautiful etc. etc. I'm sure I'd be a millionaire by now!! You can really see what you are dealing with at the allotment now that you've done all that strimming. Isn't it kind of odd that they don't allow you to have a shed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done Janice, that's marvellous! Re the shed thing, we have no idea why we can't have one. Apparently we can have a storage box of some kind as long as it's kept unlocked. This means we will only be able to keep simple tools on site and will have to keep carting other stuff with us each time. Perhaps they are afraid that sheds will encourage rough sleepers? The allotment is pretty remote and quiet....

      Delete
  5. Dont get a shed if you are near an urban area! My son in Swindon had a terrible time with local kids moving in there during the winter and getting up to all sorts! He took it down in the end to get rid of them. Lucky you to have a loo - not many allotments have them, certainly none we have had in the past!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx