Monday 5 November 2018

Allotment News

Firstly a big welcome to Eileen, lovely to see you :)

We have a bit of good news. G has been offered the chance of a half plot on our local allotment.  Now, we have been waiting for over 8 years and had virtually given up on getting anything so the offer was unexpected to say the least.  We took a look at it on Friday....


It measures approx. 13 ft by 90 ft and is overgrown to say the least.  To my eye it looks daunting but G is a qualified horticulturalist and has been used to clearing such a space for customers in the past.  With his ongoing neck problem he will have to take things slowly but I'm hoping it will give him something to occupy his mind.  He will get fresh air, a bit of exercise and, hopefully, someone new to talk to. We will tackle the work together mostly.  For now, we have ordered a giant length of black heavy duty black plastic so that we can strim down all the weeds, lay the sheeting down to kill off the weeds during the Winter and then slowly (starting at the front) peel it back to begin planting.  G will make some raised beds so that it will be a 'no dig' plot and therefore easier on our joints.

We are lucky that the dip tank for water is on a corner of the plot so it will be fairly easy to water the plants...….



It's an organic site so we need to be careful what we use on the soil but at the very back of the plot the previous owner piled lots of turf upside down in a heap.  It should break down into useable compost to fill the raised beds eventually.

In a spurt of enthusiasm, G has loaded the car with his petrol strimmer and gone off on his own to survey the plot and make a start.  I offered to accompany him but he declined. It will only be 2 hours until it begins to get dark so he can't overdo things and it gives me a couple of hours to relax and catch up on some crafting.  I have another craft fair on Saturday and have some prepping to do.....
AND I have a nagging feeling that I have a sore throat coming (courtesy of the GC I think) DRAT!

Thank you everyone who commented on my last post.  I do so appreciate each and every comment, even if I don't get around to replying.

Stay safe everyone, wherever you happen to be in the world x

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely surprise for you after such a long wait. I will enjoy watching as you turn it into a great growing space.
    Good luck with the craft fair....and I hope that sore throat goes away without turning into anything worse.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow-that seems quite big for half a plot. It will certainly be good for your husband to meet others atvthe allotment. My DH goes to a Men’s Shed two days a week and he really enjoys it. Hope you made some nice things in your crafty time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tire of planting seeds and watching nature fo its miracle. I love having home grown produce.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am green with envy here, lol. We used to have 2 allotments but have had to give up due to, dare I say it, old age. There comes a time when if you have to think about getting down there and back up again its time to quit. lol
    Half a plot is plenty and you should be able to grow lots on there, think of the lovely toms in the summer.
    I shall look forward to following your progress.
    Briony
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great news - and the exercise may help the neck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful news, there is nothing nicer than homegrown fruit and veg. Hope the craft fair goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So looking forward to seeing what you do on the allotment. Don't overdo it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the plot, I love my allotment, the best therapy and exercise going. So much cheaper than the gym. I prefer to potter and try new to me crops. My allotment is in Derbyshire and I'm still clearing it. I got it in June.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! I shall look forward to seeing what you grow there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like a lovely lot. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the welcome i have finally sorted out how to watch all the blogs i read and have popped in from time to time but you have to follow to get updates , Now i wont miss posts lol , Eileen

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx