Wednesday 23 November 2016

Stocking Up and Changing Tack

I do wish Blogger would stop messing around with settings.  I just get used to using everything and then...bam!...something either isn't there any more or a link is gone, or they have changed the layout.  Boy, does it make me cross.  Is anyone else finding things different?

Anyway, this week we decided to try out the new, refurbished and expanded Aldi store near us.  It is right opposite Morrisons so it's no effort to shop in one store for bargains and finish off in the other.
I sometimes treat myself to a bunch of flowers and these were just £2 as opposed to £3 in Mr M. They are lovely, lets see if they last as long as my usual purchase (around 2 weeks)....

 
We found this nice bottle of red wine too at just £2.99.  The one I usually buy in Mr M's is around £4.  The eagle eyed will have noticed it has been tested too!  It's very acceptable!!


Now, I've heard of Aldi's Super 6 but never bought any before as the local store used to be dismal and off putting so I never ventured in. This week we bought a bag of pears for 59p, a swede (enormous!) 49p, cherry toms 69p (Dutch), pack of 4 leeks 49p (to make lovely soup) and a bag of red onions for 69p.  Everything looks in lovely fresh condition too.  A pack of 400g of British diced beef was £2.75 and has been cooked today in the slow cooker. It has made 3 portions (one of which OH ate tonight and declared delicious) so 2 left to chill or freeze.  I added carrots and onions to the pot but could probably have added more veg to eke it out to 4 portions instead of 3.  I'll know for next time.  Aldi shopping is definitely a keeper now....

As the weather is much colder now I will be aiming to cook more warming stews, soups, quorn lasagne, veg cottage pie etc  OH loves meat but is perfectly happy to eat veg based meals on a regular basis too and it's so much easier not to have to make a veggie meal and a meat based one for the same meal.  Tonight I had a jacket potato with cheese and salad whilst he tucked into the beef but having 2 more portions of meaty delight for him tucked in the freezer will be a godsend.

I think I need to do a store cupboard clear out and make an inventory of what I have so that I can begin to organize myself properly.  I'd like to begin to stockpile certain items so that during the (usually) freezing cold of January I can rest assured that I don't need to go out at all if it's bad underfoot.  I have a dread of falling in the ice and snow and breaking bones now that I'm getting on in years :/

Is anyone else planning to stock up in case we have the horrendously bad winter we have been warned about?

Stay warm everyone x

5 comments:

  1. Isn't the change dreadful?! 10 years it had been the same... why change now? For those with just one blog, it probably isn't such a big deal, but those with more than one, it is a complete an utter nightmare and so much more time consuming. I was so cross this morning.

    Love the flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I was a bit like a stunned mullet when I discovered the Blogger settings had all been changed. I was unaware that another bad winter had been forecast for your part of the world. Stock piling is indeed a very prudent thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful flowers. I don't like the change in Blogger either. It's making it really difficult to use it on my phone now.
    I've never stocked up before but I'm beginning to think it's something I should do. We only have a tiny little kitchen which makes it difficult though. X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I am a bit annoyed with blogger, it was alright as it was. I like Morrisons but it is still worth shopping around,we used go to Aldi occasionally, but not often now as it is mainly yellow stickers for me.
    I didn't realise it was going to be a bad Winter either, I think if we were snowed in we would have enough in the stores for a couple of months, yes I think stock piling is very sensible, I like you do not like to go out when icy or snowy xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger has changed on mine too, a little annoying I must admit. We don't have an Aldi here I believe there is one in the process of been built. I always have a good store cupboard and full freezer ready for the Winter so I don't have to venture out if I don't want to.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx