Wednesday 30 August 2023

I'm so DONE with Too Good To Go

I managed to get a Too Good To Go bag from Morrisons supermarket on Sunday.  I've paid for one so many times, only to have it cancelled next day that I thought I was in luck at last.  I got :

2 loaves of crusty bread

A bag of carrot batons

A swede

A bag of pea shoots

A pack of prepared melon and grapes

1 cookie 



There was nothing in the bag to make a decent meal with so we ate baked beans on toast sliced from the small loaf.  I put the other loaf in the freezer because it would go stale so quickly if I left it out and the carrots (tasteless) and swede (ok) were cooked on Monday and served with some other (homegrown) veg and gravy.  The fruit was shared for breakfast.

I added up the original prices to get £9.16 including the swede at full price as there was no YS on it.
Then the YS prices came to £3.00


As I paid £3.09 ie 9p more that the YS prices, I felt a bit cheated.  This is not the first time this has happened and sometimes I've given dodgy looking meat to my lovely neighbour to cook for her dog, as G didn't fancy it.

I. AM. DONE. with TGTG 😢 I've deleted the App....

Have you had better luck with TGTG bags in your area?

Thanks for popping in and stay safe wherever in the world you happen to be x

15 comments:

  1. I'm too far from anywhere that does it - seems like that doesn't matter!
    1 Cookie??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know! ONE cookie. It was gone by the time G got home ;)

      Delete
  2. We don't have them here. It doesn't sound like it's worth it. I am part of a local co-op. The produce is from organic farmers in California and the food is fresh and exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried one, but son & DIL had one a few weeks ago which was full of rubbish - mainly bread! Nothing to make a meal - there was one avocado that was almost soggy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that what you get is a lucky dip situation but at least there should be the value quoted , shouldn't there. I should have had £10 worth for £3.09 and I didn't get it. Yuk! to the soggy avocado....

      Delete
  4. I don't think they are meant to make a meal but rather pad out what you have. Also to save food from being dumped. Frankly I think the companies should just donate the stuff to kitchens that feed the homeless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that buying the bag is partly to save food being wasted but the bags are getting worse. I agree that it should be donated instead.

      Delete
  5. I stopped using them ages ago, as it got popular the bags are harder to get and as your post shows, the contents are not so great. Our local was M&S at the BP garage, for ages the bags were great, I think as money gets tight, many places just don't have the yellow sticker items left at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are right, Marlene, as I remember you mentioning how good yours were.

      Delete
  6. I've never been tempted by TGTG bags like this... mostly because all the people I know who've bought them got either all-bread items or all-similar items. A friend got so excited over one from Costa, telling me how much it was worth, but six sandwiches? I wouldn't be able to eat six sandwiches in a day. It's nice to see that someone agrees with me! Olio might work for you as a more useful app, the trick is to check it at about 7.30pm as that's when most collectors list their items. And you don't get stuck with food you won't eat. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Golly, I wouldn't want six sandwiches either. I haven't tried Olio because it would mean going to someone's house to collect the stuff and it might be a bit too late at night for me. I would have to drive alone and in the dark at certain times of the year, which I can't do. Thanks for the tip though Shannon x

      Delete
  7. I don't think we have that program here. I'm sorry you didn't receive a good bag of items, but, I suppose it's whatever the store has left at the end of the day? I wonder why they charged you 9p more?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bless, it was the 9p deficit which annoyed me. I know it's not much but it's against all the principles of the scheme. The £3.09 cost is fixed and it's up to the store to at least make sure your YS items add up to or above that amount.

      Delete
  8. I've got the app but there's nowhere near us that does TGTG bags except the local motorway service station café. I don't really need to have a bag of muffins or cookies to eat. I wish YS were more common here in France. The best I've found is 30% off food. I will often buy these things, especially meat, and put them in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

It's OK.....

  Angie 💓 xx